Epilepsy Community
Epileptic or not?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Epileptic or not?

Last November (2008) I went to the movies with my husband, and afterwards went to the Navy Exchange store on base (we are both Active Duty military members).  Upon leaving the store I began to feel disoriented and my vision was going in and out.  I recall leaving the store but not crossing the parking lot.  I remember walking past my car and my husband asking where I was going, and sitting down in my car and lighting up a cigarette and next thing I knew I was in an ambulance.  My husband said that my head turned towards him but I was looking past him and wouldn't respond when he asked me what was wrong.  Then my back arched and I fell back on the seat and my arms went tense and I started having convulsions.  The hospital told my husband it wasn't a Grand-Mal, yet they put in my medical record that it was.  I just found out last week that I was supposed to have an MRI and see a Neurologist and that is now being followed-up on, but I have been reading that it's possible for an allergy to trigger a seizure.  I have always felt slightly light-headed after eating popcorn in a movie-theater and I'm wondering if that might've been what set it off since we had been to the movies earlier that day?  Also, I've had aftershocks after my seizure of disorientation and vision problems, and I'm afraid of having another one.  But while I was in the hospital for the seizure, they gave me a CT Scan and nothing showed up, is there a reason why they couldn't find a cause of the problem?
Hi. I was diagnosed with a seizure disorder in my early 20s. Like you, the first one came out of the blue and CT scan, MRI, etc. was clean. Unfortunately, a large percentage of seizure disorders are ultimately labeled "idiopathic" (no known cause). The disorientation and vision problems you are experiencing are more commonly known as "auras" and are considered to be a form of seizure activity and can (but don't always) signal the onset of a seizure. You should definitely see a neurologist. Also, while I don't want to discount any instincts you have about the cause, and there are studies that show that seizures can be brought on or worsened by allergies, I think that, if you were that allergic to popcorn, you would show some other signs (hives, anaphylactic shock. etc.). I think it's every bit as likely that the seizure was brought on by the bright flashing lights and movement on the movie screen, a much more common trigger.
Good luck and God bless you and your husband for serving our country.
mkh9 commented on mkh9's status
Aug 28
mkh9 100 degrees in San Diego an... Comment
Aug 28
flipper336 "Every morning we are born ... Comment
Aug 22