Epilepsy Community
Epilim, horrible stuff?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Epilim, horrible stuff?

Hi there,

I've recently been diagnosed at the age of 36 with 'Seizure Disorder'.  (I'm having approx 2-3 small seizures a day).  My neuro has put me on Epilim, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had side-affects.  My first issue is feeling upset, I get quite cranky and down inside and just start crying for no reason, I get really, really tired/muddled that now it's affecting how I function in my workplace (I'm making a heck of a lot of stupid, stupid mistakes!).  I break out in a rash on my neck and arm approx 2 hrs after taking meds (Don't know if I need to be worried about this), and I have the strangest, most vivid dreams!  They wake me up because they are just so strange or scary! :)

Anyone else had probs with Epilim? And will it get better?

Thanks so much for your input!

Avatar dr f tn
Hi Sarah71!

How are you? Epilim’s main component is sodium valproate, indicated for the treatment of epilepsy.  The usual side effects of this drug are: nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea frequently occur at the start of treatment. These problems can usually be overcome by taking Epilim with or after food. Cutaneous reactions such as rash rarely occur with valproate. Sedation has been reported occasionally, usually when in combination with other anticonvulsants. Rare cases of lethargy and confusion occasionally progressing to stupor, sometimes with associated hallucinations or convulsions have also been reported. You can learn more about this through this link : http://www.mims.com/Page.aspx?menuid=mng&brief=false#Warnings

If the side-effects bother you, you can always go to your doctor and he can change the medication for you to one with lesser side-effects.

I hope this helps. Take care and regards.
Hi Rowena,

Thanks for your response, I guess I'm concerned as I have been told that I must increase my dose in a few days and I'm already feeling crappy with the amount I'm on now, but if it stops my constant tremors and auras it'll be worth it. :)  I think it might be something I'll need to ride out for awhile.. I suppose a lot of meds are like this, and I think my main problem is that I've come from a competely healthy background where I've been taking absolutley nothing, to a regime of taking meds.  I'm hoping that once the dust settles all will be ok.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Cheers

Sarah
Avatar dr f tn
His Sarah71,

That's good to hear. Don't worry. People diagnosed with seizure disorder face many difficulties and lifestyle changes, but a proper understanding of the disease is a very important step toward maintaining a normal life. It's also important that you take your medicines regularly so as to prevent seizure triggers. These triggers like lack of sleep, infection, skipping of meals, alcohol and even hormonal could increase the frequency of seizures. You can learn more about this through this link:http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/triggers.html

Take care and keep me posted.
I know exactly what you are talking about. I had similar problems when I first started taking Epilim. Fortunately, these side effects seem to subside over time. I couldn't believe how crabby I was at work and yes I do think I made a couple of emotional decisions. Weight issues and general moodiness seem to be the most common issues but the strange dreams you describe only started for me when my doctor put me Lamictal. If you start to face weight gain up the cardio and watch what you eat. Obviously alcohol is out of the question :( I would also avoid coffee....I argue with my doctor regarding this last one but I am sure it affects me and probably others.
embee24 commented on Headache Note
May 24
caregiver222 uploaded new photos
May 20
Dalubaba commented on photo
May 11