Fake positive on EEG?
Hello all,

I'm 17 and 2 and a half months ago had my first grand mal seizure. The seizure was 2 minutes long, no aura, and I couldn't remember anything [including my name, where I was, or who the guy standing over me was(my father)] for about 20 minutes, and have pretty horrible memory now. I don't know how important the memory part is but I wan't to find out as much about all of this as possible.

I've been severely depressed for 4 years now and was only 450 mg of Wellbutrin XL. I've gone through just about every single antidepressant any doctor lists off but non have worked as amazingly as Wellbutrin has. It was about 3 weeks before my seizure that I went up to 450 mgs from 300 mgs on the Wellbutrin XL.

I went to a neurologist and he told me to slowly ween off the Wellbutrin because it is known to cause seizures at high doses. I had my EEG done while I was still on the Wellbutrin but on a low dosage. When my neurologist got my EEG back he told me the EEG was abnormal and diagnosed me with Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy.

My father is convinced that since the Wellbutrin can cause seizures that it also might've caused the EEG to give a false positive. I'm having my next EEG later this month and I'm really nervous! I'm just curious as to whether my father is right or not...can Wellbutrin give a false positive for Epilepsy on an EEG?

Thank you!