Epilepsy Community
Inner ear / sinus issues cause seizures?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Inner ear / sinus issues cause seizures?

Can either an inner ear issue, such as fluid on the ear, or a chronic sinus infection lead to seizures?   I have been suffering for about 7 years from chronic sinus infections along with a tremendous amount of fluid on my ears first thing in the morning.  I have seen an ENT 4 times who repeatedly tells me there is no fluid on my ears. ( I know what I feel when I first get out of bed in the mornings.)  I began to have a few days of fluid filled ears, then a few days waking up with the feeling that the top of my head was filled with concrete, then a few days with vertigo problems.  At the height of these issues I have a day filled with simple partial seizures which go away after I have had a nights rest along with a trip to the Dr. for antibiotics.  After a year of this recurring pattern, I had a grand mal seizure after several hours of the simple partial seizures.  Trip to the ER to be told (following a CT Scan) that all they could see was a severe sinus infection on both sides.  Six more months of sinus infections followed by a 2nd Grand mal, again at the end of a long day of partial seizures.  This time after another trip to the ER I was placed on Dilantin.  The seizures have completely gone away on the medication, but a visit to 2 different Neurologists have really told me nothing.  I have had an MRI, Ultrasound of my caratoid arteries and an EEG which all show...nothing.  I don't know whether to ride it out or to seek another ENT.  Can you give me advice?