Epilepsy Community
Is my daughter having seizures?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Is my daughter having seizures?

My daughter is 4 1/2.  Since last year she started complaining of having trouble with her throat.  She tells me she doesn't feel good.  This all started about May of last year.  Then around October is went away.  This year I was talking to a nurse about her symptoms and she said it sounded like a seizure.  The neurologist did an EEG and it was showing partial seizures,  Going from the left to the right.  

GOing to a BIG hospital, the doctor looked in her eyes, nose throat, and had her do some walking on her toes....said she was having possible panic attacks.

Yesterday while driving in the car ( bright sun light) the sun was flickering and it caused her to have 8 seizures.  All with in a 9 hour period.  SOme of these were back to back.

I am so scared when she tells me that her brain is angry and that is jumping.  She tells me now that she can't breath and needs air.  Her faces looks like she is in stress.  WHile in the car, she looks at signs, and we play games,.  Out of now where she complains of this activity,....what do I do???
The light flickering through trees is something I dread every time I'm in the car with my daughter.  I can't tell you how many seizures she has had in a motor vehicle.  Your daughter should definitely be wearing dark glasses in the car, not that they will necessarily stop her from seizuring but it may to some degree.  We don't go anywhere without those dark sunglasses.  Try and distract her when the flickering starts.  Have her look away and talk with her in a calming voice about something other than the light.  I hope she is on some medication and if so which one.  Your daughter will do really well if you don't make a big deal of this.  I know it is really scary for both of you but she will react from how you react.  My daughter has had seizures since she was one and now she is 30.  We don't and never have made a big deal of it, but we are very cautious and make sure she gets her meals and medication on time.  This is very important.  If you daughter is taking her meds in pill form, make sure she is taking it and not spitting it out or getting stuck at the back of her throat or on her cheek.  If it is in liquid form, make sure you purchase and oral syringe to ensure she is getting the exact amount.  This is scary stuff right now, but I promise you, it will get easier and become a normal part of your life.  You don't have to put major restrictions on a wonderful little girl, just because she has epilepsy.  It's important for her to grow up and experience as much as she can just like any other kid.
flipper336 "I always think that the be... Comment
Jun 24
embee24 commented on Headache Note
May 24
caregiver222 uploaded new photos
May 20