Epilepsy Community
Is smoking weed going to make me have a seizure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

I have been smoking marijuana for a while now and i have epilepsy, i had my first seizure when i was 10 and was put on medication for it for 5 years and never had one since then. Along with the medication i would smoke weed and nothing would happen and i got off the medication about a year and a half ago and since then id been smoking weed all day everyday and nothing happened up until and couple days ago when i took a 6 day break off smoking , i took 2 bong hits then about 20 minutes later i had a seizure. Now im nervous that everytime i smoke ill have one and im nervous to smoke now which is odd cause im so used to smoking. i had a headcold while it happened and was taking buckleys and clariton for allergies. do you think maybe that the medication had something to do with it ? Help cause im worried to smoke , what should i do , is it going to effect my epilepsy ?? I dont want to have a seizure again .. please help
The only person who could know that for sure is a doctor.  I can tell you it may have something to do with it  I'm sorry I can't be of more help.  Good luck and come back and updated.
Well i went to my doctors a few days ago about the seizure i had. He asked me if i did any other drugs and i told him no because i truly dont , and asked him if smoking weed caused my seizure, he said that it was hard to tell because it both can provoke and cause seizures, i told him i did it on a every day basis and he asked if i had a cold at all. I told him about the headcold and he said because i went a couple days after it was hard to tell and i got to go to my neurologist again. I hope when they run tests everything looks clear but i've been feeling depressed lately from it and getting alot of headaches, i hope the marijuana had nothing to do with it because im not a drinker and smoking marijuana helps my stomache problems. I hope i can still smoke, but i wont know for a while because i still havnt gotten a call from my neurologist and its been almost a week, i really want the tests run because ive been stressed out lately
All I can tell you as the sister-in-law of an Epileptic who smokes weed is that it may have something to do with it.  I don't even think he knows for sure, almost 8 years later.
I have since then smoked weed but only one hit off a joint and i would get paranoid .. i did it about 2 days in a row but its not the same as it use to and i havnt smoked in about 2 weeks now. I have an EEG test coming up on july 25th and i will see if i really did have a seizure or not. I hope i can start smoking again and go back to normal i feel left out of all my friends now they all smoke and i dont. I've gotten sudden anger swings and somedays swings of depression and its something i dont like. like i said hopefully everything goes well , my mom said just relax and take some time but i like i said i sometimes get anger swings and marijuana always helped before , i also have anxiety and it helped that aswell .. now that i don't smoke i can't stay at school for full days because i get light waves over my arms and head and my hearts races and i leave and go home .. i feel like im just getting more bad news everyday and im gettin sick of it. can't wait for this month to pass
mkh9 commented on Londres70's status
Apr 30
mkh9 commented on Londres70's status
Apr 12
flipper336 "Life is tough, but it's to... Comment
Mar 29