Epilepsy Community
Is this a seizure in 3 year old boy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Is this a seizure in 3 year old boy?

My strong willed 3 year old has been displying some odd behavior that I just started noticing in the last 3 or 4 months, and I have only observed it while we are riding in the car.  I'm driving, and I can see him directly behind me in the rear view mirror.  For very brief seconds his eyes will roll back and his arm or leg will flail or twitch.  He resumes looking around or looking forward as if nothing happened.  A few seconds later he may have another of these episodes.  At first I thought he was playing.  But I started observing him more, and think he is unaware that he does this.  No one else has noticed.  If I talk to him and say are you ok, he gigles as if was up to something like talking to himself.  He never does these things if he is in the middle of talking or a tantrum.  He only does them when things are quiet and he is looking around.  We have had big time sleep issues with him since about 2, so I thought maybe he was tired.  Sometimes he does fall asleep shortly afterwards, but this could just be from riding in the car.  I will also mention that he throws tantrums all day long.  Today's episode did follow one of his many tantrums today once he calmed down.

Any thoughts?
get him to a dr they could be seizure
I would take him to his doctor and ask him to send your son to a Neurologist so they can do some testing on him.

He may be having them from what you have said,and sometimes people have a hard time sleeping at night due to having night time seizures.

god bless your family .
my son is 5yrs old now, what you wrote sounds very similar to what my son does.  he makes weird facial movements while moving his arms and weird uncontrolled movements, but we can snap him out of it if we say his name.  he also has sleep issues, which the dr has tried different meds to help him at night, but we have to keep switching meds, cuz they don't work after a while.  we had him tested overnight at the hospital with probes on his head to read what is happening when he does these weird movements, and the tests showed no irregular brain activity during them.( not seizures).  we are in the process of still asking ???'s about what is going on, so we would love to here if you have gotten any info on your son's situation.
kaleb5      I just read what you had to say about your son. I would still take your son to see a Neurologist and let them do a EEG and just thou I would let you know not all Seizures can be seen on a EEG from what I have been told and read about.

if you can you should video tape him when he is having these things happen and take with you to a Neurologist.This will help them see what you are seeing.  
Hi Kathy,

How did it turn out with your son?  Did you ever reach a diagnosis?  Your experience seems incredibly similar to mine... yesterday my son while driving said he was tired and wanted to lie down, and started murmuring... as I looked his eyes were rhythmically beating to the left.  He snapped out of it after 10 seconds or so and seemed fine, and was fine for the rest of the day.  If I couldn't see his eyes, I wouldn't have thought twice.  We took him in and although he checks out fine, they do want to do an EEG with a neurologist which will be in a few weeks.  The other thing that caught my eye is the remark about nighttime sleeping issues.  Infrequently, our 3 yr old will have what seems to be night terrors.  Pretty common.. but he seems half asleep and half awake... he has some control over his movements but his speech and movements are very shaky.  He does not have many tantrums, or at least more than any other 3 yr old...

Have you ever received a more definitive diagnosis, or any additional information?
My son has a seziure disorder and he twitchs really bad it gose to his arms both legs sholder some times his whole body twitchs one big jerk i know this isant normal hir regular pcp says they are seziures the eeg showed abnormal his mouth twitchs the twitchs didnt show up as seziure they have to be thou
My son is 4 when he 1st started taken lamictal the twitching stopped after 3 months they started bck they also started around the time his seziures started please help
there are many kinds of seizures. The best thing you can do it write things down . And tape them so you have all this to talk to the Doctor about.

my son twitches in his sleep .

it sounds like alll your children are have Seizures. The night time ones could be them twiching and not a seizure.

what they should do is run a lot oof blood work and do at least 24 hour video EEG .

Also if your children are having Seizures they may have a hard time learning .and there for they should start to get speech because some children lose there speech because of the seizures . youtube has a lot of videos of seizures and what they look like.

also you can get info from the epelispy foundation .
my son dus it all the time he did pass out at school  he has been to the hospittal and had a eeg now  but not rely sed much to me just keep an eye on him but i worry all the time wen he at school he 10 now he pass out wen he waz 5 so vrey scery as i have angxuty so that dont hlap coz i worry mor
I would say take him to a naturopath and they will no doubt get him to take magnesium and calcium as if it is just muscel twitches then this should fix it. This should help him sleep at night as the magnesium will help relax the muscels and both of them will help with the twitching.