Epilepsy Community
Keppra- anyone have any succes with it?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Keppra- anyone have any succes with it?

I have been diagnosed with partial complex seizures. I work in the medical field and my neurologist put me on Keppra. I was still having seizures on 1000mg per day so he increased the dosage over the phone from 1000 to 2000 mg per day. I still have problems so I called him back..............he told me to see a shrink. I feel like the keppra is making me have mood swings that are totally crazy! I am usually very laid back and mellow and now get upset over the littlest things for no reason................has anyone else had this experience on Keppra?
Hey, I too have partial complex seizures and was put on Keppra.  I am currently only taking 375mg twice daily and cannot tolerate that because of terrible irritability.  It's horrible, I started lamictal and am hoping my neuro will slowly d/c the keppra.  Your not alone and certainitly don't need a shrink! Take  care, MB
I don't think a shrink is in order, either!  The most common side effects of Keppra are behavioral (irritability, aggressiveness, etc.)  My son is on Keppra (he's only 30 lbs, and he takes 1200mg/day), and it's definitely caused some awful behaviors, so we're titrating Lamictal in hopes of weaning the Keppra eventually.

His neurologist labeled his "psychotic behaviors" Keppra-related (he has pica and ate a lightbulb), and I completely believe him.
Wow I'm really sorry to hear about your 3 yr old son.  Its hard enough as an adult dealing with these issues must be even harder for a young child ( and you as a parent).  I hope he's alright and the lamictal works for him.  Thinking of you. MB
I have Partial Compex Seizures also. I had my first grand mal seizure when I was 11. I now just have the Partial and I'm 33 yrs old. I have been put on Keppra 2 times and it has not worked for me either time. I am now on Lamictal, Trileptal and Lryica. These 3 seem to be the best ones that have been working for me so far. I have gone thru 4 1/2 weeks without having a seizure. The longest I have gone. I have 2-3 a month, usually.
I was on Keppra and Had the Same exact problems.  My doctor thought mayby he put me on to high of a dosage and lowered it and same thing continued again, he continued to lower it. until my nor i could take it anylonger, and he switched me to Topamax and its working Great.  my mood swings stopped immediatly.  He started me on 25Mg 2 times a day and increased it slowely each week to now were working me up 200mg 2times day.  I have gone almost 4 months without a seizure on this med regiment
Morning,
read your posts, just wondering I see you also have partial complex szs, how do you know your having them do you get an aura?  I have been experiencing terrible nausea and dizziness along with numbness in arms and hands have you the same thing? Going to neuro today and hoping he will decrease my keppra and increase lamictal.  I'm currently on 100mg of lamictal and 375mg keppra twice daily.  I hate it way too irritable. Any suggestions! MB
I used to take Keppra (500mg 2x/day)--I didn't remember any side effect except hot temper.  When my husband and I planned to get pregnant, my neuro suggested that I shift from Keppra to Lamictal since, according to studies, the latter appears to be the safest for pregnant women.  I started Lamictal at 100mg/day. This was increased to 200mg, then 300mg/day. Lamictal was not good for me--suffered from slurred speech, memory loss, incoherence. Worse, I had seizures/symptoms every month. (Had none for 1 year and 3 mos. with Keppra)  My neuro shifted me back to Keppra.  Now, I'm back to 500mg 2x/day.  During the 3 weeks, I was so ill-tempered.  Little things which used to make me laugh irritated me.  I was also depressed, esp when I had my period.  I never understood "depression" until then.  I felt like crying for no reason at all.  I thought maybe the hormonal change was also a big factor. Now, it's been a month and 3 days... I feel ok.  Still slightly moody at times, but manageable.

Guys, I believe that the medicine usually has different effects on different people.  Some of us feel good on Keppra, others on Lamictal, still others on other drugs like Depakote, etc.  For me, it helps to track down all the symptoms and changes you feel while taking a specific medicine.  This would also help our doctors to determine if that med is the right one for us. (To be continued)

Liza P
As for the hot temper/irritability and other side effects, maybe it would help that we talk to the people around us so that they would also understand.  Reading blogs and comments like these helps a lot!

I hope we all find the right med for us.  Good luck!  :-)

Liza P
Well after my previous post stating I was going to see the neuro for my monthly appointment.  While in the office I had a seizure, I believe still partial but had significant left sided weakness, couldn't walk a straight line without tipping over as well as couldn't add remember things etc.  It was horrible it all started out with nausea first.  Needless to say he ordered another brain MRI that day! Then admitted me the next day for another VEEG, my third one to date.  While in hosp for those 4 days I was weaned off Keppra and increased my lamictal.  Felt much better as far as the irritability goes but now have increase in szs even on increased dose of lamicatal.
Iknow have this horrible metalic taste in my mouth which can last all day but worse at times.  I can feel my head being pulled to the left and have increase blinking and zoning out periods.  I put a call in to neuro but didn't recieve call back which is very unusual.  Guess I have to wait until next week appointment.  I hope all of you are doing well.  
MB
Dang well i feel weird I have left Frontal lobal partial onset seizures, i am on 3,000Mg  of Keppra a day. I am  A very nice person most of the time but when i get hungry even a little bit my personality does a shift.
i take 1,500mg twice a day. I get a bit nasty to people if their slightly annoying i just tell them to stop being annoying, and through doing that it annoys me cause my mom telling me i am annoying irritates me.
So when i am hungry i tend either to tell people to stop being annoying rudely, or to go find a quite place in the library, put a headset on with music and study for my classes.

But 90% of the time i am More happy then any one else and that pisses ppl off. I dont randomly say things etc. I am just not a downer i try to find positivity in any THIng

The person my mood swings affects the most is my mom, earlier tonight she told me to stop twriling my hair (its a nervos fidget of mine i have never grown out of & only do it at home). I kinda just got more agressive and obvious with the hair twirling and purposly mocked what she wanted. i was being a distraction being in her line of site.
Mind u its finals week i had not eaten a thing earlier today except breakfast and it was 8pm at night. I ust feel bad cause it made her get up and leave, which was not my intent.
My son was on Keppra for frontal lobe epilepsy and it didn't help at all--it only made him have a bad temper (and yes, his neuro-doc also sent him to a psych-doc).  BTW...I fired that neuro doc!!
Now he takes Trileptal and is seizure-free.

Good Luck!
i too are on Keppra(3000mg a day) along with that i take 600mg of tegratol.  i sometimes have break thur seizures, and dizzy spells(which i was told wassvertigo) all i know is that i have gain alot of weight with this med and that i donot feel a 100% at any time. have not exper. any mood swings at all, that i can see. not really to happy with the keppra
I'm on keppra. So far so good. I used to be quite irritable but once I understand that it was the side effects of keppra, I got hold on myself and tried my beat to be aware of my reactions to others. Reading Dale Carnegie's " How to stop worrying..." helps a lot in my recovery process. I've been on keppra for about two months. Anyone been on keppra for a longer period?
I have been on Keppra for about a year and 9 months I can control my irritability for the most parts but the person i feel bad for whom deals with the most is my mom. I am not a morning person even though i get up early. when i get up early I just need to do my own thing. I am not mean, i am just unsociable, i find just common conversation irritating and very annoying.

WOW LMAO the Dale Carnegie's.... that particular book i listened on audio tape when i first was going through things, mainly cause i was having really bad head and eye ticks so it would be EXTREMELY frustrating to read. wow thats quite funny.

Qtip When i first started taking Keppra i Gained 26 pounds in a 2 month period i went from 165 to 190. I too was not eating more, but due to being tired and worn down i dont think i was as active.  but that passes with time give keppra time with this particular regard. i have not gained any more weight, but now has lost some.
i am on keppra too and it does change your moods, it used to be called the death pill because people who were on it thought about suicide a lot of the time.  it makes me think better and i am actually smarter than before.  one man sued the company because he almost killed someone and he got out of it because it can control your emotions.  they also help my headaches but you know any med can cause the same side affect.  Vallium is very addictive and can cause terrible mood swings with bouts of not being able to control your emotions and acting out on them.  

There are side affects to all seizure meds.  I have been on a lot of them.  
HI. the drug keppra has been the one that has kept me on my feet for the best part of two years now...

1 take 2 x 500 mg of sodium valporate m/r  
          1 x 100 mg of lamictal
   and  1 x 100 mg of keppra.
twice daily...

and its only since i was introduced to the keppra two years ago that ive yet to fit since.

so i recommend it ...stay safe ...seeya's
I have been on Keppra and Lamectal for the past 2 years.. no side effects and it is controlling my complex partial seizures.
As I am reading all your comments, I am crying my eyes out. I was put on Keppra about 1 1/2 months ago. A week ago they raised my dosage to 1500 mg a day and I have had a headache ever since and am very depressed and angry alot.  This is the 2nd seizure medicine I've been on and hope to get past this soon.
well i have had the same promble i have focal seizers and i am on carbotrol and  i have been have dizzness and twiches and  my docter put me on keppra and it hassn't work that well. but after awhile i noties that i didn't have as much twiches & dizzeness . just let i have time and it will work. i now its furstratinfg but it takes time for your body to get us to a new medicen, so just wait a while. hopes that helps
ive had epilepsy since i wuz 14yrs old got put on tegretol and had it changed up and down since then had about 3 years clear and now its back worse than ever nocturnal and these stair blank outs for few secs..im 29 now and got put on keppra few mnths ago and if i dont get of it soon im not guna be getting married im in realy bad moods,short temprd,down about evting,dont wana talk to freinds!! its realy bad so called nuro and he just put my tegtol up to 1000mg per day and 1000mg keppra per day.. i dont feel like myself at all!!!!!!!!! any 1 have same???
what happen when we had on keppra and got pregnant?what medicine should be use during pregnancy when have partial temporal lobe epilepsy?hope you could help
omg! yes i take keppra now and i have the same feeling as you! i get mean and icky to everyone and i hate it! i have epilepsy also. and i have tried like 6 different medications i got put on this one just because it was the safest during pregnancy . tell him you want to switch your meds if you really dont like them your the patient tell him your needs what you want and if you dont get it your going to another neurologist!
keppra is supposed to be the safest one during poregnancy.. why whts the matter?
Sorry to join the party so late. My son is on keppra and lamictal for BRE. Originally he was on just keppra and was a maniac in the beginning. After just a few days our neuro said to give him b6 vitamin in the morning. He was back to himself immediately.

I hope you have your issues figured out, but if not, look up keppra and b6, and ask your neuro about it. Best of luck!!
Hello All:
I've been on Keppra (1500 mg daily) for about a month now.  The irritability was immediately noticeable, but is diminishing with time.  I have to think twice before speaking and often decide not to comment immediately  to others comments, especially if they are being critical or sarcastic.
Every human is different and every one of us has different reactions to different meds.Keppra, which makes me CRAZY is good for many others. My neuro immediately switched me. Now Vimpat and Dilantin work best: but Dilantin or Vimpat has caused tooth decay! My poor hub had to deal with Keppra rage for over a month. Belly busted laugh when he was told it was Keppra, not just me.
Give little time to the medicine to adjust in your mind and with your body. Everything will be alright after about 6 months from the start of taking your dose.
my name is heidi i am 28 years old i had my first seizure a year ago. i am on 1000 mgs of keppra a day and i just started takingit again a couple days ago and i am the same way depression irritibility crying  all of the above I have horrible dry mouth  and no appetite. i worry all the time and i don't wanna be alone. i have numbness in my feet and i feel like i am going crazy.
I have been on Keppra for 3 years, almost 4 now.  I am 28, and I had my first/only grand mal at 23.  I have a great job and a great family, and I've been lucky enough to NOT push everyone out of my life so far.  But I have noticed a build up of aggression and just not being myself.  I used to be happy, all the time, played sports in college (Division I).  I've always been really smart (quick at math, majored in chemistry) and really confident.  Lately, I have lost confidence, I get very angry -- quickly.  And I have lost weight, but I have been trying to eat healthy and work out, to increase natural levels of serotonin to make me happier.  And I have memory black outs, where I cant remember what people just said (some say I am a poor listener and I laugh, but I think its something else). But I will tell you this, if I have any alcohol that rage is severe.  And I take it out on my mother and my very patient boyfriend.  And I cry and feel like I am just stuck sometimes.  And I didn't know what was wrong with me until I read this.  Have you tried anti-depressants along side of Keppra?  I'm thinking of suggesting that to my neurologist, just a small dosage to see if it helps... because nothing, NOTHING is worse than feeling the way I did after that seizure.  And I haven't had one since, so I feel like balancing my mood with stabilizers or anti-depressants may help.  I dont want to take pills, but I don't want to be so angry and Keppra has controlled my seizures so well I feel like I don't want to change that part.  
Awww this is such a heart wrenching story. Apologies for only now responding but only just found this site after doing some research on Keppra. I know what you mean about the way ppl view you. I have been on different meds since i was diagnosed in 1997 with complex partial seizures. I have ppl telling me i am rude and ignorant and have an attitude because they think i am rolling my eyes at them I mean really.. like its my fault. You try to explain to them that its not rudeness and what the real reason is and you get the excuses excuses line. The meds i have been on over the years have given me quite a few different side effects. The first time i tried keppra it was with 15oomg eplim (2001) and that didnt go down well. I am now back on keppra after 11 years on its own this time and been on it since 7th november 2012 and already feeling strange, being hungry but cant really face food. Tried two small glasses of low alcohol wine and that played havoc. Feeling tired and headachy. Only on 250mg at the moment but the dosage is going up by 250mg every 2 weeks up to 1000mg.. so fingers crossed it doesnt get any worse.
I take Kepra. The medication was not enough so I now have a VNS implant and take a low dose of Kepra. This works very well for me.
My 12-year old son's first seizure occurred in August 2012.  He went on Keppra after his second seizure in October 2012.  He started at 1000mg/ day.  After his third seizure in November 2012 he moved up to 1500mg/day.  After his fourth seizure in January 2013 he moved up to 2250 mg/day.  After his fifth seizure in March 2013, which happened a week ago, he moved up to 2750mg/day.  Keppra causes him to experience mood swings.  Sometimes he is giddy, sometimes almost inconsolably sad.  His school work has fallen off a lot.  He has gained weight disturbingly.  However, his mood swings less now than when he first went on Keppra.  I am hopeful that the current dosage will be effective and that he will adjust to normalcy.  Epilepsy is bewildering.        
See if you can get him on lamictal.  i have noticed an incredible change in my mood for the better after switching from keppra to lamictal 200mg twice a day and it has controlled my seizures for 3 years.
I'm 17 and I've been taking Keppra awhile now. I take 1500 3 times a day mixed with other stuff and my seizures have calmed down, but they haven't stopped completely. The one thing I HATE about it that it makes me hungry 24/7 whereas when I took topermax  I was never hungry so of course as a teenage girl I hate that part, but as far as mood goes and stuff I'd say the Keppra has been the best for me compared to the other stuff. I don't get as angry anymore.
I am on Keppra had my first seizure 6 months ago. i take 500 mg 2x daily. Only side effect i had was  wanting to argue alot. (VERY HOT HEADED), but that left after about a month. I  was 47 when I had first seizure. Doctors do not know what caused it. I am in Michigan we have a 6 month seizure free driving law, went today to get paperwork signed to drive. Doctor will not sign it.  No big deal, I will readjust my life around this, I will not let it get the better of me
I have been on Keppra for a few years now with a mixture of Epilim, Lamictal and Topamax. I have generalised epilepsy and I "quote" from my neurologist "I am an odd and difficult case". Lovely hey. Anyway, I am on 1000mg of Keppra a day and I have found that since going on them I have been more irritable towards people and I get upset a lot easier. I have found myself to be more lethargic and sometimes a bit forgetful with the easiest of things. When I am tired, I can't even put one word in front of the other properly so putting a sentence together is hard. Instead of trying to just put me on two different types of tablets and try that, my neurologist thought it would be wise to use me as a guinea pig and put me on four different ones. I have also started to feel the cold a lot more. I am cold for approx 10 months out of the year. I am not happy and it is hard as I haven't had a fit for years and I hadn't since before he stuck me on all these tablets but because my eyes fluttered a little he thought I should take more tablets to stop it so if I was to change now, I would lose my license, my job, my independence.
Hi I'm 5 months pregnant, I've been having fits so I've had to try keppra Im already on 700 mg lamotrigine! I'm worried about the side affects I'm gonna have I'm emotional and tired all the time as it is anyway!
Talk with your neurologist about consuming vitamin B6 . It helps stabilize brain activity as well ad mood swings. I am doing perfect of keppra and i am on a 2,000 dosage also however, the difference is that i have generalized epilepsy.
Hi , i am having similar symptoms as evryone here. I am 22 yrs old and a male. I suffered from a gran maul seizure in 2013 , put on keppra 500mg a day twice a day. I was fine in the beginning. Slight dizziness, sick to my stomach, slept good, anger was elevated. Howver i dont rlly have epilepsy. Only reason i had one was because of my surgery when i was 11 for an arachnoid cyst . 10 yrs down the road it hit me. First 10 months of keppra was fine. I did suffer numbness in my hamds , dizzy, sleep deprived, shaking of hands and uncontrollable muscle movements, sluggish, waking up too early, definitely angry most of the time. It was just horrible after two months my body accustomed itself to the dose . Then i started with these symptoms
I had a second one on keppra due to sleep deprivation.
Now im on keppra 500mg twice a day and lamictal 400mg twice a day   . Its annoying as hell!! I just wanna sleep!!! And... Ironically enough.. Im up at 2;30 AM writing this with only 6 hours of sleep..  
I WAS PLACED ON THE 5 WEEK DOSE PACK OF LAMICTAL BY MY NEUROLOGIST FOR MY SEIZURES. THIS IS WHERE YOU TAKE 25 MG. EVERY OTHER DAY FOR WEEKS 1/2 AND 25 MG. EVERY DAY FOR WEEKS 3/4 AND INCREASE TO 50 MG. EVERY DAY FOR WEEK 5. I ENDED UP IN THE HOSPITAL AT THE BEGINNING OF WEEK 5. THEY STARTED ME ON 50 MG. BY DAY 3 I HAD BROKE OUT IN A RASH AND SORES AND HAD TO BE TAKEN OFF OF IT. I WAS TOLD THAT BREAKING OUT IN A RASH IS A COMMON SIDE AFFECT.  
I AM ON KEPPRA 1,000 MG. 3X A DAY DEPAKOTE 1,000 MG. 3X A DAY ZONISAMIDE 100 MG. 3 AT BEDTIME. I HAVE HAD MANY EEG'S MOST OF WHICH SHOWED SEIZURES ON THE RIGHT PARIETAL LOBE. THE LAST 2 SHOWED NEGATIVE. I HAVE ALSO HAD AN OVERNIGHT EEG STUDY WHICH I AM WAITING ON THE RESULTS FROM MY NEUROLOGIST. I HAVE SEIZURES 2-3 EVERY WEEK. IN FLORIDA WE HAVE A 2 YEAR SEIZURE FREE FOR DRIVER LICENSE'S AND THAT MEANS I HAVE I HAVE A WHILE TO WAIT TO APPLY FOR MY LICENSE. PLUS THE DOCTOR WON'T EVEN DISCUSS IT AT THIS POINT. I AM GETTING SCHEDULED FOR AN OUT OF COUNTY 5 DAY OVERNIGHT EEG AND AN MRI BY A SPECIALIST. I HAVE NOT HAD ANY HOSTILITIES. I BELIEVE THIS IS BECAUSE I ALL READY HAD MOOD SWINGS AND AM ON MEDICATIONS TO CONTROL THOSE. MY FIRST EEG SHOWED IN 1991 SHOWED RIGHT PARIETAL LOBE SEIZURES ACTIVITY WHEN I WAS VIOLENT. THIS WAS BEFORE I WAS ON ANY MEDICATIONS FOR MENTAL AND SEIZURES. I DO FEEL NAUSEAUS AT TIMES WITH VOMITING AS WELL AS DIZZINESS. THESE ARE BEING TREATED WITH OTHER MEDICATIONS AS WELL. I HAVE HAD 5 TIA'S. AM A SMOKER WITH COPD/ASTHMA/EMPHYSEMA ALL BEING TREATED WITH A NUMBER OF MEDICATIONS.
I am 31 had my first seizue 2 months before my bday. Been on keppra 500mg bid and it makes me irritated easily. Normally I can handle stress and just go through the day. I never cry about anything and find myself crying over the dumbest stuff. I know when I snap at people and its not kind but its like I cant help it. And all I wanna do is sleep so I dont have to think. I feel all your pain from all these posts. I am hoping it will get better for everyone. Take care all.
Try Zonisamide! I swear by it. All my seizures are under control AND it has made me lose the weight I gained by being a self imposed couch potato---since I was falling down with my seizures and was afraid that I would seize in a strange position and fall on a hard surface! It has been approved by the U.S. FDA since the year 2000, but I've not spoken to many peeps who are using it. Indeed, I did not get it prescribed until my 10th year of seizing, documented by my local U. of CA hospital's Emergency Room. I swear, the things we have to have witnessed by a medical pro are unbelieveable. Wait, maybe that extra E should not be there. I seized so many times my brain was cooked to well done and I cannot spell any more.
  I just saw an advert for bi-polar disease that made me stiffen up and read. My neuro, in one of one of the damn hand written notes (I'm looking at it now) also decided that since I talk too loudly and  talk too much (a side effect for me of my seizures and the meds) (it's not like I was a lawyer prior to the head injury that gave me seizures) (yes, I was) that I am bi-piloar---wait, I'm getting beind myself--at any rate, the new seizure med I'm taking, Zonisamide, makes me feel like I've consumed too much coffee today and every day, lost 25 pounds (I needed to) and I am terribly sane once again. I can read, I CAN DRIVE. Prior, this evil man told my HUSBAND that I could drive again WHEN MY HUSBAND TOLD ME IT WAS OK---the neuro is from India and is in an arranged marriaged---I can only imagine how many times he has fooled around in THAT marriage--he wears a horridly bad toupe' (or is it toupee?) and his hair piece is so often filty that I cannot keep from smirking when I talk to him!
The advert I saw on my screen was for Bi Polar disease. And Zonisamide is used to CURE bi-polar disease--He wrote that I was an epileptic, with "a strange personality disease, who was bi-polar, and who was obese. Zonisamide has been used since 2000 to cure epilepsy, obese-ness, bi-polar disease, etc. Why did he fail to give it to ME? (Always read the notes the annotations, the nursing notes, anything you can get!) I subpoenaed 10 years of medical annotations from the local hospital and boy howdy, did they sit up and play fetch! Love ya'll I am suing my neuro!
Someone else taking Zonisamide!!! Please god, get us in touch. Oh, and help Junebug learn to type without the upper case button stuck on the ON position which we all see as screaming. June, I am ***@****
I'm sure the OP is long gone, but to anyone else who is in a similar situation.  There are many different kinds of drugs to try, alone or in combination with another.  There are also many different kinds of neurologists as well.  There are those who will write a script for TWICE the existing strength without consulting with the patient.  There are also neurologists who are caring, compassionate people who will keep digging for a solution.  We discovered this after taking our granddaughter to a well known child neurologist, head of the neurology department in a big city children's hospital on the east coast of the US.  The guy turned out to be .....well a jerk (which should clear the censor).  We too were told to take her to a psychologist after he either gave up or was too busy to bring to bear all of his credential and accolades on a little girl.  We switched to a another doc in another state who while receiving excellent reviews was lesser known in the field.  She has turned out to be the best thing to happen to our granddaughter and her parents.  Phone calls and emails just to see how things are going, rooting, and digging to find an answer.  The OP is under no obligation to continue with the seemingly uncaring physician.  If you don't like the physician, get rid of him and find a new one who will care for you, and treat you in the manner you are due.
Keppra had God awful effects on our granddaughter who was normally sweet and loving until she was put on it.  Tantrums, angry outbursts, and crying were commonplace.  Fortunately, she wasn't on it for very long.