Keppra XR/jerking movements in hands
My son was on Keppra, (750mg 2X day) his doctor changed him to KeppraXR same dosag because he was having more seizures. Since he has been on Keppra XR, still seizures and constant jerking movements in hands and very unsteady when standing. Not getting enough sleep @ night. Took him to ER last night, increase dosage to 2000mg per day. His hands jerk from about 11am to about 7pm or 8pm, then he has a seizure. Sleeps about a hour & half. Have anyone had these problems taking Keppra XR?
Hello there,
A complete history about his seizures and medical examination are very important in determining the accurate cause of your son’s problems. The common side effects of Keppra XR are sleepiness, dizziness, weakness etc.Very rarely few people may experience aggression, agitation, anxiety on this drug. There may be problems with muscle coordination while on this drug. Your son seems to be in a very difficult situation. I will advise you to consult his neurologist. He may need tapering of this drug and may be an alternative drug for his condition. I do hope you find this information useful.
Take care and best luck!
hello, im a 20 year old female and i was diagnosed with epilepsy back im '08(thought'd id put it out there for technical reasons), and im currently taking keppra xr. if its one thing i noticed about this drug (not a doc, could be totally wrong), its that it doesnt stay in the system as long as previous drugs ive been on in the past. meaning, when on this medication, its VITAL to be consistent with taking the prescribed dosage because if you miss a dose youll probably be more prone to having an episode. i say this because when i was on depakote for my seizures, i could go literally weeks without taking it & still be seizure free (i had to change medications due to other reasons). another thing with being epileptic from my experience is that SLEEP IS A MUST. im assuming your son is probably on the younger side but he needs to get those little buns to bed if he isnt already. make sure he understands his condition, and that there are certain things he has to be mindful about (sleeping good, being aware of flashing lights, drinking, etc). i have alot more i could say, but if you have any questions for me feel free to contact me at ***@****  i know what its like to deal with this epilepsy thing. hope i was able to help, even if it was jus a bit!
have a good one.

leah