Epilepsy Community
Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome

I have a 8 yr old son who was diagnosed 1 yr ago with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. He started having seizures when he was 2 yrs old. These seizures were called febrile seizures. I have researched this disease endlessly. The problem I am having with him is his behavior. He had a test done through the school board who found that he is intellectually disabled as well. So he only learns at the age of a 3-4 yr old. Will this ever increase as he gets older or will this get worse? How do we treat his behaviors? The school he is in has done a phenomenal job with him but his violence and aggressiveness is not controlled. Now we're having to look at other means of help. But the waiting lists are so long and I have exhausted all means of help where I live. He has had control of his seizures for about 10 months now which is awesome. Now who do I turn to for help so that my son can get the best education possible.

I would also like to know of all of the reasons why and how this disease is caused because it really does confuse me. My son was a normal little boy but seemed to be developmentally delayed in most areas. Especially with his speech. Now I have another little boy who seems to be presenting almost all of the same problems with delayment as my 8 yr old did. My baby has also had a seizure about a year ago. He has speech problems as well. He is going to be two next month and is very inconsistent with his speech. He is receiving help with his speech and physio therapy as well as play therapy to try to catch him up to his age level. Would a baby who has had severe bronchitis with a really high fever and cannot keep anything down from either end be susceptible to getting this type of disease? He was treated at the hospital for his sickness but was never hospitalized. I just need to know how to understand this disease completely. I am also looking to talk with anyone who deals with this disease. It feels so lonely to deal with something so rare and not have a person in the world who understands where you are coming from. Thank you in advance for your responses.
You are not alone.The Doctors think my son has
Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome.  

And when I read about it I get very upset and scared for my son.

I am glad that you Son seizures are under control.My son still has seizures every day even with all his Medicines he takes and had the VNS put in last June.

Try giving him Vitamin B6 and Omega 3-6-9 Vitamins   this has helped my son some.And just remember he cant always help what he dose.

I would rather have my son hipper and than to have the Seizures.  

Just please what ever you do don't let the Doctors talk you into putting your son on Drugs for add or adhd or even bipolar.The side effects of those drugs are Seizures and do damage to the brain.

My Son was put on blood pressure pills to try and help his seizures and his Stress and anxiety,witch we all know can cause Seizures

I would like to talk to you since we both seem to be going threw the same thing.If you would like you can send me your phone number  in a message and a good time to call you.

My son get home School for two hours a day from a teacher at the School where we live and it has helped him learn better also.

god bless and stay strong.