Epilepsy Community
My baby startles

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

My baby startles

HI,

I have a question related to my newborn baby boy:

His age is now: 3 months and 23 days; He sometimes startles (most of time while sleeping or before sleeping) but today he did 3 consecutive times while he was awake. is that a symptom for seizure or normal baby brain development.

can the moro reflex happen by itself?

thanks in advanced.

Yours
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.
It seems that your baby is exhibiting Moro’s reflex. It usually occurs when a baby is startled by a loud sound or movement in response to any sound. This reflex lasts for about five to six months.  You may try swaddling your baby when he startles. This is only a possibility. Other causes of startling are infantile seizures, hypocalcemia, metabolic disorders etc.A clinical examination and work up is important for confirming the exact cause and deciding the treatment. Seek the opinion of a Paediatrician.Do write to me again.
Best wishes and regards!
darobow added the Heart Rhythm Tracker
Aug 14
darobow joined this community
Welcome them!
Aug 14
UnsureMS Prays you know God Has You,... Comment
Aug 03