Epilepsy Community
NOCTURNAL SEIZURES?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

NOCTURNAL SEIZURES?

In July 2005 I was injured in a car bombing that besides shrapnel wounds suffered a TBI w/ loss of contiousness.  Not until 3 years later did I have my first nocturnal seizure (for what I know).  They last only 10-15 seconds and are tonic clonic in nature.  Went through nemerous tests and the only thing that was abnormal was my EEG showing spikes in the left temperal region.  My CT scan along with my MRI was normal.  I guess what im asking is doesnt someone with epilepsy show abnormal mri's and ct?  They origionaly had me on a low dose of lamactal but that didnt stop them, if anything made them worse.  Im waiting for VA to deliver the new drug im going to start called Keppra, does anyone use this drug and how is it working for you?
The EEG would show the most accurate results.
First thank you for your service .

my son has seizures and only the egg shows the waves in his brain and my son has on both sides.

they say it takes time to find the write one or ones .

my son is on keppra along with 5 other things and they are not working.but they say what he has a lot of times that happens.he just  had the VNS put in on the 24th and turned on yesterday.

they wont do the VNS unless they try at least 4 to 5 medicines and they are not working along with some other things.

if you want more info on VNS just goggle it.because there are some people who cant have it done to them,

a lot of the medicines they give can make you want to sleep a lot or can cause anxiety.

hope this helps some.
THANK YOU!
I am sorry about your injury and also appreciate your service and sacrifice. I also suffer from nighttime seizures, but have had Epilepsy for 26 years. I take 400 mg Topamax daily for relative control. I am completely unaware of the activity, but thru my partners visual descriptions, physical damage to myself, and obvious mental deterioration when awakened after the event... we are able to pinpoint and track break-thru seizure activity. I also have three other types of seizures. I have presented over the many years with 2 abnormal EEG's, and numerous normal CAT scans, and 1 abnormal MRI and 4 normal MRI's ....go figure.
Keppra or Topamx - probably one will help you, they are the best we have available in this day and age (more on the near horizon), it's all about taking the lowest amount you can get away with to get control of your symptoms and yet still be able to handle the side effects (which can really suck).
Nothing is normal when you experience seizures. You just have to make your life as it is today the New Normal, and get a really comfortable bed...both these meds add about 5 hours a day to your sleep regime.
Go to Epilepsy.com
and take some time to check out the blog talk radio, there is a wealth of information from very knowledgeable doctors on the cutting edge of the field that may help you understand the disease. Some relevant to you some not. Good luck my friend and keep your chin up, I have done well and so will you.