Epilepsy Community
New findings about my condition

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

New findings about my condition

I have been suffering of "seizures" since 09/05/2005. On 07/04/2004 following heart bypass and mitral valve repair surgery I suffered brain hemorrage in the right parietal region of the brain (scar 2 cms.) After that first seizure I was placed on Depakote and gradually increasing dosage until I was experiencing all the side effects associated with Depakote. I was switched to keppra (now at the limit) and Vimpat (also at the limit). The anticonvulsants have not helped. Finally, I received approval from my insurance carrier to enter into an study at Baptist Hospital in Miami. Thursday 07/28/2011 I was admitted to the hospital and was placed in a room conditioned for EEG visual monitored study of 23 hrs to 96 hrs. Two hours after being hooked to the monitor I experienced my first two seizures and later that night I had two more. The Neurologist in attendance (an specialist in epilepsy) came to visit with me, review the data accumulated, took some notes and told me Nancy don't worry I will be having a conference with your Neurologist and tomorrow will come an visit with you. Yesterday, as promissed, he visited with me and told me that I don't have epilepsy instead I was suffering of what they call "pseudoseizures" or "Psychogenic Non-Epileptic Seizures" and that he had discussed the findings with my Neurologist and was prescribing that I should see a psyquiatrist (prefer one versed in this type of occurence) for therapy and proper medication. That in fact the anticonvulsants I was taking couldn't help me since my condition is not epileptic.
I would appreciate your assistance and cooperation in providing some information as to the above referenced and to what it should entail. On the one side I am happy to have a professional diagnosis confirmed by the study but I am confused. Help me! Nancy