Possible Partial Seizure?
I'm a 35 yr. old female with no significant health problems. I've been having great difficulty lately trying to deal with the following symptoms: I experience light-headedness, a "fuzzy" feeling in my brain, visual disturbances (hard to focus either on something direct or in peripheal vision), rapid heartbeat, muscle weakness and sometimes slight shaking. My boyfriend knows when I'm feeling all of these at once because he says I become very pale. I seem to carry the "fuzzy" feeling in my brain most of the time now. I've been to a neurologist and am supposed to return in two days for MRI results.
It seems that these symptoms could be caused by a variety of problems and I'm going crazy because I feel like I can't go anywhere. I can deal with just the "fuzzy" feeling, but when everything groups together, I almost can't function.
Any ideas? From what I've read, seizures should only last for a few minutes so I'm trying to rule this out. Thanks.
Hi ga_mom,

It's been almost a month after your post. How are you? Do you have your MRI results already? Partial seizures happen where the electrical disturbance is limited to a specific area  of the brain. Partial seizures are subdivided into simple partial seizure (in which consciousness is retained); and  complex partial seizure (in which consciousness is impaired or lost). Virtually any movement, sensory, or emotional symptom can occur as part of a partial seizure, including complex visual or auditory hallucinations. To know more about this, you can visit this link: http://www.emedicine.com/neuro/TOPIC342.HTM

I hope this helps. Take care and please do update us.
I'm thrilled to read your post!

I'm looking for a cause for my problem, and while doctors are currently contemplating a possible heart-related cause, a friend (a doctor) recently suggested "focal seizure" or partial seizure.

In the typical list of symptoms of partial seizure, the sufferer is said to be unable to speak or has involuntary movements.  That is not me.  I remain able to take my pulse and take stock of other symptoms, plus describe what's happening, as it's happening.

This issue began about 7 weeks ago.  I am almost 50.  I have always been exceptionally healthy, and had no real health problems prior to this.

I continue to have individual or multiple symptoms on most days, but full-blown episodes only occurred for the first 2 weeks (so far, at least).  

I get a feeling like I'm going to lose consciousness, where my vision begins to fade away at the periphery, and I have difficulty focusing and following movement.  My heart rate increases (under 120bpm), but my heart pounds.  I have large muscle trembling, and often have chills to the point of full body shivering with the bad episodes.  I have a dull/numb/tingly feeling across my scalp, with transient head & heart pain.  I feel as though I'm not getting enough oxygen.  I don't call it "shortness of breath" because I tend to breathe deeply, and have no impediment, in that respect.  I just feel as though I'm not getting enough oxygen.  I also have nausea & diarrhea with the worse episodes/individual symptoms.  My head/ears often go very hot, even though my temperature is normal.  My BP is also normal/very good.  I have atrial flutter, but they are more common and stronger (or I'm just noticing them more) since this problem began.

Some days, I have what I call head "swimming".  After a week or two of having very few symptoms, the sudden "whoosh" sensation and difficulty focusing has returned with gusto the last few days (but without a full-blown episode).  It only happens when I'm really relaxed.  In the case of the last few days, that's later at night when I'm maybe watching t.v.  (I had 2, in the space of 30 minutes, just now.)

Anyone with expertise in his area, does it sound like I might be having partial seizures?  Doctors I've seen have never suggested this possibility.  They've been mostly dismissive.  One suggested it might be my heart, and sent me for further tests (still in progress).  I know you can't diagnose me via the Internet, but any information would be welcomed.

Also, what is the prognosis for suddenly showing signs of partial seizure late in life?  I've read that it could be nothing to worry about, while others suggest it is a sign of developing more serious seizures.  

No one in my family has a seizure disorder.  In fact, I have no knowledge of any family member ever having had a seizure.
I do appreciate the help...from everyone.  Thank you.  

(I will grant that since "anxiety" is a psychological problem which can manifest itself as physical symptoms, I probably won't be swayed away from the psychosomatic label.  And since there are questions, the answers to which tend to suggest anxiety as a likely cause, and with which I have ZERO in common, I doubt I'll ever get to the point of believing my symptoms are the result of mental stress.  I mean, to be fair, I did look at the medical information about anxiety, and literally laughed out loud at nearly every question.  - Are you constantly tense, worried, on edge?  Ummmm...noooo.  :-)  Do you frequently worry something bad will happen?  Hahaha...no.  What?!?  :P  - My point being, I have NOTHING in common with the typical anxiety sufferer.  So, before I imagine that I'm a unique anxiety case, I'll keep looking for the much-more-plausible physical cause.)

On a curious side note, a friend suggested focal seizure.  I considered it, but read that most sufferers can't talk or have involuntary movements during episodes.  That doesn't describe me.  (I'm here in the heart section because doctors are currently thinking "heart".)  Ironically, I just did a search for partial seizure, and this is what someone posted in the first question I read:

"I experience light-headedness - a 'fuzzy' feeling in my brain, visual disturbances (hard to focus on either something direct or in my peripheral vision), rapid heartbeat, muscle weakness and sometimes slight shaking."  She also describes a continuing "fuzzy" feeling in her head, beyond her "episodes".

I know.  I know.  It doesn't match exactly.  Nothing matches exactly.  But still fascinating.  There is some commonality there.  

I just had two of the "whoosh" sensations (as I call them...where it feels as though I'm about to lose consciousness), immediately preceded by sudden vision impairment (obvious difficulty focusing), about 30 min's apart.  So, while I haven't had a full-blown episode since the first two weeks of my problem (it's now been about 7 weeks since they began), I'm still experiencing various symptoms which are completely foreign to me.  I was being awakened in the middle of the night with heart pounding, for a while there.  I've had a couple of nights, now, where I've awakened to general discomfort and slight leg trembling; no heart pounding.  I'm confident enough to drive again....cautiously.  ;-)

I'm still searching, as I await the results of a few more tests.  On the plus side, I'm having fewer and fewer bad days.  
Sorry...that was meant for my "heart" thread.  Must've clicked the wrong box.