Epilepsy Community
Pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Pregnant

My partner and I are expecting our first child together, and are both epileptic. I have a range of different seizure types, but tonic clonic is most common. My partner has mainly tc now after a head injury when he was 12 but had absences regularly prior to that. We are both concerned that we could pass epilepsy on to our child. Is this particularly likely? At the diagnostic stage we both were diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy.
Anyone know if it is likely that our child could inherit it from us?
Your child could inherit it from you.  We are not doctors here so we can't tell you for sure.  Maybe you could ask your doctor what the odds are that your child will get it.  Good luck and congrats to you.  Be sure to come back and let us know how you are doing.
As the previous poster brought out,we're not doctors.It would be best if you asked that question of a geneticist,as even most doctors could only guess or go by stats.

The best thing you can do is to take good prenatal care;of both yourself and baby.Get plenty of rest,avoid stress and other triggers as much as possible,take your prenatal vitamins daily as well as follow a good diet and exercise program.Don't miss your Dr appts!They're very important,because you and the baby will be monitored.

My Dr did increase my med during labor to help me get through such a difficult time without having seizures.My husband wasn't epileptic,but has alot of health issues.Our 3 daughters are neither epileptic nor have they yet shown any indication of inheriting their dad's health issues.
mkh9 commented on Londres70's status
Apr 12
flipper336 "Life is tough, but it's to... Comment
Mar 29
mkh9 uploaded new photos
Feb 14