Epilepsy Community
Right Temporal Lobe Hemangioma Surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Right Temporal Lobe Hemangioma Surgery

I am a 29 year old female diagnosed with a cavernous hemangioma located in my right temporal lobe.  I have been dealing with seizures and attempting to get a handle on them for 5 years and I can only seem to get control over my seizures with the meds for a few months and then we have to add more or try new medications.  My Neuro and I are now thinking of going towards SURGERY?!  I am nervous yet excited.  I just want this to end.  I know the risks and they frighten me but the fear of grandmal seizures fear me more.

I am looking for anyone who has had this surgery or can give me any advice.....a been there done that kind of thing.  I would like to hear your story to give me some hope that surgery is a good step and the right choice to make.  I have two small kids and I just don't want them growing up with my epilepsy!!

Thank you in advance for your time.
Erin
Avatar dr f tn
Hi there!
You are very apprehensive I understand. Your surgeon might have advised you surgery since you have been having uncontrolled seizures. In general, surgery is usually recommended if the risk of brain surgery is outweighed by possible negative consequences of new hemorrhages .If the angioma is in an easily accessible area of the brain and it has been proven that the angioma is causing uncontrolled seizures surgery may be indicated. The risks and outcome of surgery depends on many factors like location and size of lesion, preexisting brain damage due to the lesions and general health of the patient. In your case I think it may be necessary to have the angioma removed. Seek opinion from experienced doctors. I sincerely hope it helps.
Take care and good luck!
flipper336 "If you can't feed a hundre... Comment
Jul 12
UnsureMS Trusting in God is the best... Comment
Jul 08
embee24 commented on Headache Note
May 24