Epilepsy Community
Seizures: Epilepsy or Anxiety

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Seizures: Epilepsy or Anxiety

My 14 year old daughter was diagnosed with epilepsy in 2006 following a brain scan as she started to have seizures straight out of the blue. After a period of sustained bullying at school I removed her and have been home educating her. Recently she has been offered one hours education at a lo9cal resource centre in the hope that eventually she can return to mainstream education. In the days leading up to the day she is supposed to go to the centre she becomes very very anxious and has seizures...... four limbs jerking, foaming and the most recent spate on Monday night she has 6 seizures without regaining conciousness in between and required medical assitance by paramedics. Yesterday I received a letter from her consultant saying that in her opinion my girls sizures are not true seizures but that she is attention seeking and becoming so anxious because she does not want to go to the centre. the Consultant advised that when she has a seizure I make her comfortable and walk into another room !! I have been so upset by this suggestion as I know my girl is not " bringing this on herself" as Ive asked her and I believe her. What do I do now ? She is seeing a child psychologist to help with her anxiety but now I dont know what to do. Either my girl has epilepsy or she doesnt. Consultant states that she is to be given no further anti-epileptics. Can anyone help with some advice please ?
WOW!!!!
I'm sorry to hear about you daughter. I know it is difficult when you don't know what is going on or how to deal with it.

I didn't really think people could be so rude!!!! I have one for you!!
I took my son to an e.r. because he had 4 seizures in a day and 1/2. Not like any other that he has. At this point he had not been dia. with anything. His symptoms are more like a book. I won't go into detail...long story short... I'm over reacting he is not having real seizures they are Psychogenic Seizures and he needs mental help. There was activity on the eeg but not epilepsy. He had another one in front of the dr and he said that he made his self.  Very rude Dr. that had no interest in his history or med records. Didn't even ask to see them. Nor wolud they admit him to observe what was going on. He also told me that i shouldn't go to the e.r. unless he has stopped breathing for more than 3 min!!!!  I drove for more than 2 hours to get to this Childrens Hospital.  needless to say we won't be back!!!!!!!

Please keep me posted.  I am very interested in you daughter.
There are many triggers for seizures, one of which is stress. She might just be extremely overwhelmed which is worsening the seizures. That's what does it for me. Didn't she have an EEG that showed she was having seizures? Before I was diagnosed with epilepsy they thought I might have a mood disorder but my seizures weren't that obvious so it was harder to diagnose. I was about 15 at the time and am almost 20 now. It was the EEG that finally made the peices fall together and I'm better now. Maybe you should get a second opinion.

Personally, I think that walking away from a child when s/he is having a seizure would just increase anxiety and make seizures worse. She'd probably feel more ashamed,  I know it's difficult especially at this age. At least that's how I'd feel.

Possibly try a neuropsychologist. I've never been but I'm thinking that maybe the doctor could give more insight into exactly how the anxiety may be affecting her seizures and how to cope with both. I believe that there are other places for teens to talk about their experience with epilepsy. I think on the epilepsyfoundation.com there is a section for teen forums but I'm not 100% on that.

Hope everything works out ok, good luck!
Hiya.thank you for taking the trouble to respond........... will keep you posted xx
Hiya and many thanks for taking the time to respond xx wishing you good health in the future xx
**************************************************************************************************
Plz send me some tips for me (read below, my problems) :-

First Attack (in 1996) : In the morning when I woke-up I was trembleling (just like Epilepsy) and filling myself action-less for some time (about 3-4 minutes) after some time everything was normal.

Second Attack (in 2004) : Also in the morning when I woke-up I was trembleling (just like Epilepsy) and filling myself action-less for some time (about 4-5 minutes) after some time everything was normal.

Third Attack (09/02/2009, 5:30 AM) : It was also in the morning when I woke-up I was trembleling (just like Epilepsy) and filling myself action-less for some time (about 5-6 minutes). In this attack I fell unconscious for 30 minutes. After this atack this attack attempted again after 2 hours when I tried to go some where and again I fell unconscious for 20 minutes.

Medicine I am taking :-

(1). Eptoin 100mg (Phenytoin Tablets I.P. 100mg)
(2). Folvite Tablets (Folic Acid Tablets I.P. 5mg)
(3). Cobadex Forte (Vitamin B-12, B-complex with vitamin C Capsules)

Now I want to know Is it really Epilepsy or any other deses.  

######################
EEG Report shows : Nil
CT Scan Report shows : A accidental cut mark (about 1 inch) on my top head.
######################

*******************************
help me plz
*******************************

Medicine I am taking :-

######################
EEG Report shows : Nil
######################

*******************************
help me plz (I am filling helpless now) plz......plz....plz
*******************************