Epilepsy Community
Seizures and EEG's

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Seizures and EEG's

Ive had 3 EEG's come up suspicious for seizure activity since a car accident in 05'. They managed to get seizures triggered during a recent test but got NO EEG readings.

SO this doctor tells me I have Psychogenic Non-Epileptic Seizures. I relate this with a Panic Attack. That by the way its explained, its emotion response to being nervous or what not. Its not supposed to be caused by electrical miss-fires.

But he tells me with this type I cant be having them in my sleep, but I DO have them. And wake up feeling like a mac truck has hit me. Some times I even dream that Im standing beside my self watching my self seize but I can feel all the pain just as I do when awake for them.

My seizures can really leave me out of it for days. Pain, bruising, exhaustion. You name it. I often have an 'aura' before hand. At times Ive had scent seizures, where I smell rubber or menthol. I loose speech and coordination. And people can watch my mussels jerking as well as my limbs or body.

This is effected by meds as well, which can make it much worse. My dogs woken me up from them and my previous service dog saved me from suffocating in bed twice. They alert to them before they happen at times.

I have a range in types and had seizure changes after the last EEG. I react to flashing lights or some kinds of flickering lights in stores or restaurants.

Could this be a miss-diagnosis? Should I be seeking a second opinion or accept this one?  I recently spoke to a woman who said she was blown off by the same doctor but was finally diagnosed with EP. She told me that some times the seizures can be deep in the brain and an eeg wont pick them up. Is this true?

What the lady told you about the EEG is correct. If the part of the brain that is the cause of the seizures is located deep the only way a EEG would locate it is if they put the sensors on the brain it's self. Go get a second opinion from a specialist.
mkh9 commented on mkh9's status
mkh9 Finally cooler in San Diego! Comment
Sep 01
mkh9 commented on mkh9's status
Aug 28