Epilepsy Community
Seizures only with fever

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Seizures only with fever

I am father of a 6 yr old boy (36 lbs) who has been prone to having febrile seizures since his childhood. He has had 9 so far since his birth with the first one when he was around 7-8 months. The seizures have all lasted around 2-2 1/2 mts and have always preceded by a upper respiratory infection. Normal in school and has no neurological problems as of now.

The last episode of seizure happened just before he turned 6 when he again had a fever and mom stayed at home to care. This one happened almost a year and 1/2 after his last one. What we could say of it was mild compared to the previous ones but with a twist. He was finishing his bath and he lost consciousness and blankly staring around. He was standing and did not fall. At the end he had a slow movement of his left arm. Starting generalized and ending as focal. Sleepy and tired after that. Lasted again around 2 1/2 mts. Pediatrician recommended to see a neuro. Neuro ordered EEG and MRI. EEG results are abnormal and neuro told that the results are similar to that of an epileptic and 80% chance of developing epilepsy later on and has prescribed him to be on Keppra. MRI results are not in yet.

Our Concerns:
Concerned with starting med when he has not had a seizure without fever. Not even once.
Being treated for Epilepsy, when many web sites claim to have had atleast 2 seizures without fever.
Very concerned with the side effects of Keppra.
Articles which state starting anticonvulsant treatment early does not change the outcome of the person becoming epileptic.
EEG results have been claimed to be abnormal after a febrile seizure and is recommended to be done after 2 months. His EEG was done after 3 weeks.
His normal lifestyle has not impacted by a 2 mt seizure happening once in 1 1/2 years only when having fever. Is med necessary at this point?

We would like to defer the treatment unless he has another occurance of a seizure and continually monitor him through EEG every 5-6 months.

Please help as we are in quite a predicament. Appreciate your time for your responses.
My 6yr old just had her 2nd seizure brought on by a high fever. The 1st happened about 2yrs ago. I hope it never happens again. This second one, she walked around with a glazed looked , and was moving her hands, it looked like she was blind and feeling around. I put her on her side, she started drooling and her eyes rolled in back of her head and shaking and defacated herself. It was awful.  I understand your concern, keep me posted as what you decide to do. I too was told with the first one that they grow out of it by 5yrs. old.