Epilepsy Community
Seizures? or something else?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Seizures? or something else?

For a long time now (at least 6 months to a year, maybe further back) i have had the symptom of smelling something that isnt there. For example, out of nowhere, while sitting in my room, i might experience the very strong smell of something that isnt there. Its usually something with a strong smell. Off the top of my head i can remember once smelling lasagna for a quick second to the point where i would want to cringe and then it was gone in a breath. almost like a quick feeling in my nose and then its gone. I know the smell isnt actually there. This happens randomly and can be from a couple times a day to once a month, essentially unpredictable. I was tested for seizures as a child although i dont remember anything about why or what i got out of it. Googling this phenomena only really comes back with epilepsy or a brain tumor as a result. Insight on the matter would be appreciated. Or advice. I understand i should be seeing a doctor but because of where I live it makes it difficult. Thank you for any and all help. If it matters, im male and in my young twentys.
It sounds like you are having an olfactory hallucination also called phantosmia. You are correct when you said it can be a result of a brain tumor or seizures, but phantosmia most often occurs as a result of a head injury or upper respiratory infection. It can also be caused by sinusitis, migraine's, Parkinson's disease or even a stroke.

Since it can be a result of what I listed or in other serious underlying disorders, you need to see a doctor to find out what is really going on.
embee24 commented on Headache Note
May 24
caregiver222 uploaded new photos
May 20
Dalubaba commented on photo
May 11