Epilepsy Community
Sleep Paralysis of Frontal Lob Seizures?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

My boyfriend and I are trying to find out more information about what may be wrong with him, as doctors have not been able to help in the past.

Starting about 4 years ago, he started to occasionally (once every 3 months) have seizures.  His seizures would involve his body going limp, eyes glazed buy starring open, he would be totally unresponsive and they would last from 1-5 minutes.  He finally was able to see a neurologist about a year ago (he did not have insurance for a long time so we had to wait for our hospital to find a neurologist to do it for free/reduced cost) and his brain scans showed no abnormality. So they just said well you just must have seizures some times and offered no more information/solutions.

He hasn't had any seizures like that for a bit over a year.  However, last night we experienced the most terrifying episode of what we aren't sure.  In the middle of the night he bolted up, started screaming and kicking/punching/flailing.  I didn't know what to do/what was going on and thought it was just a horrible night mare or something  so I started saying (and then shouting) his name and trying to hold him but he was unresponsive and kept the screaming and flailing going for about 2 minutes.  When he finally came out of it he said he was screaming becuase I was screaming and he felt like some one was in the room and about to attack him.  It was the most scared I've ever seen him, and he said he'd never been so terrified in his life.

Was this episode perhaps of really extreme sleep paralysis? Or could it be a sign of some type of seizure?  Or something else entirely? He also twitches very hard in his sleep - if that bit of information means anything.

Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.
The first type of seizure you described sounds like an absence seizure. Was your boyfriend put on medication of any sort? Did the evaluation(s) he had reveal anything else?

The second "seizure" does not seem at all like sleep paralysis. It could have been any of a number of things, from seizure to night terror. The severity of the event, along with his and your reaction, make me think he should see a doctor about this very soon.

If this happens again in the interim, do not try to hold down his limbs. Stay back, clear the space around him to keep him safe, and be ready to call 911 for help or take him to the ER if necessary.
This episode that you describe.  
"started screaming and kicking/punching/flailing.  I didn't know what to do/what was going on and thought it was just a horrible night mare or something"

your boyfriend he said he was screaming because I was screaming and he felt like some one was in the room and about to attack him.

could very well  be a night terror.
During night terror bouts, patients are usually described as "bolting upright" with their eyes wide open and a look of fear and panic on their face. They will often scream. Furthermore, they will usually sweat, exhibit rapid respiration, and have a rapid heart rate (autonomic signs). In some cases, individuals are likely to have even more elaborate motor activity, such as a thrashing of limbs—which may include punching, swinging, or fleeing motions. There is a sense that the individual is trying to protect themselves and/or escape from a possible threat which threatens bodily injury
a simply EEG requested by your neurologist can  determine  weather this episode was in fact a night terror
These night terrors can occur each night if the sufferer does not eat a proper diet, get the appropriate amount or quality of sleep
T_rince added the Multiple Sclerosis Tracker
Aug 02
T_rince is ...looking for treatment... Comment
Aug 02
flipper336 "The happiness of your life... Comment
Jul 31