EPILEPSY
COMMUNITY
Slow Brain Waves/EEG
by gnightmoon, Jun 27, 2008
What does it mean if you have slow brain waves on EEG? What does it have to do with my epilepsy? I have Partial Complex seizures that sometimes proceed to generalized.
Thanks!
Member Comments (8)
by dualdis3, Jun 28, 2008
To me it represents that you have seizure activity going on in your brain.  I had the same time told to me back in 1986 by the Western Neurology Group.  Shortly after that, I was given Tegretol but, the morons gave me Atavan at the same time. The two medication do not work together.  Look these medications up and you will see it for yourself. There is a drug interaction between Tegretol and Atavan.
by Dr_Aparna, Jun 29, 2008
Electroencephalography (EEG) is the measurement of electrical activity produced by the brain as recorded from electrodes placed on the scalp.
When a routine EEG is done in a patient with suspected or known epilepsy, often it is to look for inter-ictal discharges (i.e., abnormal activity resulting from "brain irritability" that shows a possible predisposition to epileptic seizures.
Delta is the frequency range up to 3 Hz. It tends to be the highest in amplitude and the slowest waves. It is seen normally in adults in slow wave sleep. It is also seen normally in babies. It may occur focally with subcortical lesions and in general distribution with diffuse lesions, metabolic encephalopathy hydrocephalus or deep midline lesions.
What it basically indicates is that its presence in your EEG when you are not asleep is pathological i.e. indicative of the possible area in your brain which is triggering your epileptic seizures.
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroencephalography

by mitzydawn, Dec 16, 2009
I thought that slow brain waves meant that I was brain damaged, Is this right?
by jackdanal, Dec 17, 2009
If one is having a sleep deprived eeg, wouldn't it be normal to have slow waves appear on an eeg then?
by anjan495, Dec 26, 2009
hi, friend.. i m from india wrking in a hospital ...ur slow waves are coming because of might be u r in sleep or u cant say it as brain damage..it comes sometimes if u have epileptic disease or PCS.
by mel502, Feb 23, 2011
I was worry to see what it means to (slowing in the left temporal area as well as on the right side).  I'm nervous for that because I had 2 surgery for my epilepsy. The first one was in May 2008 and the second in January 2009.

When I saw my Doctor in  December he askes my opinion for a third surgery, because I still have some. So I'm nervous and try to understand what is about the slow waves ...

If you can help me with that it will be appreciated...

by tbruce39, Apr 29, 2012
If this slowing shows up in your sleep can it effect your sleep? Could I be having seizures in my sleep?
by samnjay143, Nov 13, 2013
I just went and got my results from my eeg and they said my eeg was normal but I have slow activity in my brain. I had a grand mal seizure when I was 14 and they couldn't figure out why and til this day I have been having little mini seizures. And again they can't find out why. I was wondering what they meant when they said I have slow activity in my brain. Can anybody tell me?