Epilepsy Community
Spinal meningitis and epilepsy link?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Spinal meningitis and epilepsy link?

I was diagnosed with grand mal epilepsy a few years ago but my doctors and neurologist are all puzzled as to how I managed to go as long ad I did without ever having a tonic clonic type of seizure
I'll give you a little history before I ultimately ask the big question since it may help to answer.

When I was ten months old I developed the viral form of spinal meninitis. It about killed me but through God's grace and will I survived. I never had any kind of seizure at all but what I later came to find out what were auras I DO remember having all the time. Sometimes up to several times a day. I always chalked them up to me just spacing out but whenever they occurred I remember it being extremely difficult to break out of until they passed on their own. I've had them throughout my adult life as well until one day I blacked out and couldn't remember what happened. I had a few more and one was when I was with a friend. He described me as "just sitting there with a blank look on my face and unresponsive" to anything he said to me. I went to the doctor and was told I had petit mal epilepsy. He put me on Carbemazepine (so?) and sent me on my way. No tests. No EEG. Nothing. Just a quick "you have epilepsy - take these pills".  OK fine, you're the doctor. So I take the pills - 2 in the morning and 1 at night. They managed to prevent the blackouts but the auras were just as common as they were before. I became frustrated with the medication "not working" and just stopped taking them completely. They also seemed to have an overwhelming side effect of making me very aggressive and angry.  Once I stopped taking them my attitude returned to normal. For years afterwards I continued having the auras. No medication was being taken, mind you.

Then one day I was at work and that familar aura sensation returned. As usual I'd let it take it's course and go on with my daily routines but that isn't what happened.  I black out and all of a sudden I return to consiousness to find myself strapped to a gurney surrounded by paramedics. At the hospital I am finally run through the gamut of tests including multiple scans of my brain, etc. At first they tried to give me something called Aderol (adderall) (again I am unsure if the spelling) but I start going into anaphylactic shock. It would seem that I'm deathly allergic to that stuff. They then try Dilantin and I take to it without any serious side effects.

My doctors and neurologist tell me that they've found some atrophied brain tissue that appears as though it's been there for a very long time and when I inform them that I had spinal meningitis as an infant I see some eyebrows raise but was never given a definite answer.

Having said this entire story which is probably longer than it should have been. Forgive me as I do have a way if both rambling and writing novels out of my experiences. Anyway, I've been mulling it over in my head ever since I heard the results of my brain scans. I have read that meningitis has been known to be a cause of epilepsy so could that very well be what has brought mine on?  I have had no other tonic clonic seizures on the new medication (Phenytoin now as Dilantin was discontinued) and every now and then I'll get a very light indication if an aura but I can fight them back. I've no family history of epilepsy nor have I had any other serious brain trauma.

Could the meningitis be the cause?