Epilepsy Community
Swallowing problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Swallowing problem

This is a great website!

I experience a fullness on the right side of my head (behind the right orbit) down into my throat.

Now when I eat or drink something I sometimes get a spasm like seizure where I choke and can't seem to catch my breath. Only by standing up and bending forward can I get through the spell.  Also can't drink and fluids as they make the situation worse and I bring up mucus and saliva while choking and struggling to breathe.

Recently I was referred to a local neurologist who mistakenly (I believe) diagnosed the condition as a form of epilepsy and prescribed an anti-seizure med. I have never had epilepsy in any form and only have this problem occasionally when eating (if I am not sitting up straight).  I believe it is a growth/narrowing in my wind pipe of some sort that closes it when food goes through.

My PCP (HMO lingo) got the above information from the neuro and now does not want me to drive! Legally he has that power in my state.  I am very concerned and don't know what to do.  Maybe someone on this site could give me some good advice on this matter.  To my knowledge I have never had any form of seizure etc. prior to this condition cropping up and it seems to be related to the food rubbing on the right side of my throat triggering the symptoms. After that I can't swallow anything and bring up mucus and saliva while choking, gasping for breath..

Thank you!

Jim134
Maybe don't use the word seizure if you don't want to be diagnosed with seizures.  

I think you need a dynamic swallowing study and I think that will give you the correct diagnosis.