Epilepsy Community
Whats the difference between...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Whats the difference between...

Hello again, sorry if this is a really stupid question, but what is the difference between a Seizure Disorder and Epilepsy?  My neuro had diagnosed me with a seizure disorder (having daily occurences) and I just wanted to know what the difference was.. of course, I forgot to ask him at the time!

Sarah
Hi Sarah- I believe they are the same. Some people don't like the word "Epilepsy" so they use "Seizure Disorder."
Peace!
It could possibly be that you simply have seizure activity and not full-blown seizures.

When my condition first began, I only had myoclaunic jerks in my back, arms and legs. I never had any problems with my head, so I wasn't sensitive to flashing lights or noises and such.  I was VERY sensitive to stress.  It was the major contributing factor for my problem.

After a car accident, the problem moved into my head....and it has never completely gone away for me.....although I control it without medication now.

This COULD be what they meant.  Just ask somemore questions of your neurologist. He should tell you.
Thanks for the clarification, I have had one full blown seizure about 1 month ago, and was suffering from 'tremors' only on the right side of my body.  After having and MRI and EEG my neuro has put me on Epilim 4 times daily with a review in 3 months.  The Epilim has settled things down (I only get a buzzing sensation down my right side now :) ).  I just didn't know if they meant the same thing, it's probably seizure activity as I've only had the one full seizure that has sent me to hospital.  

Thanks again for your help!

Sarah
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Sarah,
How are you?Epilepsy is a recurrent seizure disorder caused by abnormal electrical discharges from brain cells, often in the cerebral cortex. A seizure disorder affects about 0.5% of the population. A single seizure does not mean that someone has epilepsy.
I hope this helps. Take care and keep us posted.
Thanks Rowena, I think I understand the differences now, my neuro said that the daily tremors and weakness I'm getting on my right side are seizures, but the one I had that put me in hospital affected my whole body/consciousness, so I'm presuming that the one that put me in hospital (the whole body one) would be the type I'd get consistently if I had epilepsy? And the right sides one's are the seizure disorder.  My EEG showed seizure activity so I guess this is the other reason I've been diagnosed with seizure disorder rather than epilepsy.

Thanks again!