Epilepsy Community
absense epilepsy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

absense epilepsy

My daughter is 12 and was diagnosed with absent seizure 2 weeks ago. She got a tonic seizure 2 weeks ago and that is why we found out she has absent seizure. She took keppra for 2 days and she is so tired and her throat hurts. So we stopped the medicine. She is still very tired after we stopped the medicine for 4 days. What is happening to her. I am so worried about her.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello there,
Somnolence, tiredness, dizziness, and behavioral abnormalities are the common side effects of Keppra.She may take some time to get out of the effect of this drug. Finding the right medication and dosage can be challenging and require a period of trial and error. Taking antiepileptic medications regularly is necessary for maintaining proper drug levels in the blood. The antiepileptics used in absent seizures are ethosuximide, valparin.Discuss with her doctor about alternative antiepileptic for her.
Take care and regards!