Epilepsy Community
anxiety or seizure?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

anxiety or seizure?

How do you tell the difference between seizures and anxiety attacks?  These are not my normal mild anxiety attacks.  It starts out of nowhere, usually when I'm watching tv or playing on the computer, and there seems to be no emotional trigger, it all seems physical.  It starts with a rapid heartbeat and a panicked feeling in my throat, chest, and tummy.  Then progresses to the point that I feel like I may pass out and  I'm afraid if I go to get my husband I will fall.  When it's over, it just stops and I'm tired and sweaty.  I remember pretty much all of it and it lasts only a few minutes.  I have severe nocturnal grand mal seizures about twice a year and they don't know the cause of them, but I've never had one while awake.   I'm on 600mg of trileptal and have not had a nocturnal seizure in about 6 months.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

There are different types of seizures. The grand mal seizure is the tonic clonic type. Next are the absence seizures or petit mal seizures. They cause absence attacks. And temporal lobe seizures can cause altered smell or hallucinations. So, each seizure activity fits into a particular pattern, this prompts the treating physician to order an EEG. If what you have is seizure activity, only an EEG (electroencephalogram) can help confirm this. This is done under the guidance of a neurologist. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.