Epilepsy Community
behavior issues on Keppra

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

behavior issues on Keppra

My 7 year has been on Keppra since March when he first had his seizures. He also has ADHD and is on medication for that as well. He had really come along way with his behavior before having to be put on seizure meds. Now, his behavior is terrible. He is very short tempered, nervous, anxious, whinning a lot, constantly out of his seat at school and of course getting lots of notes from the teacher. Is this possibly caused by the Keppra? I really don't think it is his ADHD meds because he was doing so well before. When he had his seizures( Complex Patial ) he had behavioral issues for about a week but not as severe as they are now becoming.
hi nanamommy, i have been taking keppra for almost 6 months. i have been having the same issues since taking the meds. i have a short temper and ant little thing set me off. it is very frustrating because i couldent help or control it myself. my husband and i was fussing all the time. i would snap if he looked at me the wrong way. i realized how bad it was when i got mad at my car sterio and took it out and ran over it "imbarrasing" .i called my neuro and it was a side effect of the keppra . my neuro gave me klonipin (klonopin) and it has helped 99% . my neuro told me i could hurt myself or others so call his neuro asap and report his behavior. i still take the keppra but the klonopin has eased the anger and temper .
I am sorry your son is having seizures.My son started to have Seizures after he was on drugs for add and adhd.My son was on Adderall (adderrall) and then Concerta when his Teacher said she didn't think the Adderall (adderrall) was working and she also thou the Concerta was not working.He change School the next year and the Nurse told me she thou my son was having Seizures.My son Doctors was getting sick of the School telling what they thou my son should be on and what was going on with him.So he set my son for his first EEG and then that same day he called back and said he was sorry. When my son had his first Video EEG one of the Doctor told me that the drugs my son had been on and was on at the time could cause the Seixzures.I took my son off and he has never and will never go back on any of those drugs,some of them are just like speed.And I feel bad that I gave them to him and it has change him.My Son has been on Seizure Medicine since 2006 and still has Seizures.

May people who have been told there child has ADHD OR ADD have found out latter that there child has Seizures.Some is because of the side effect to the drugs and others is because the person was Misdiagnode. Seizures can look like ADD  OR ADHD OR BOTH and even Bipolar.

I would read up as much as you can about seizures and adhd,and I would also look up all the side effects to the drugs .

Keppra can make people do things and act out,some of the other drugs they us for seizures can do the same thing.

I give my sonChildren Multivitamin Omega 3-6-9 and Vitamin B6 every day ,they are good for the brain and don't have all the very bad side effect that the add and adhd have.And have helped my son better with his School work and he also gets home school by two teachers who take turns coming to our home for 2 hours every day after they get done with School.

My son has tried may different Medicines and he still has Seizures every day.My son was on Keppra and I didn't like how he was on it,thou he has not been as bad as you say your son has been on it.

Ask your son Doctor about trying Depakote or Zarontin. I beet your son Doctor didn't tell you that his adhd could cause Seizures.I would ask about taken him off the adhd drug and how you take him off any of his drugs because you can't just take them off of them.

also you didn't say what kind of Seizures you son is having?

stress and anxiety can cause more Seizures and having Seizures can make it very hard to learn and the School Teachers need to know that,and they need to know how to teach him and try different things to see what works and they have to know this is not his fault and if he is having seizures while he is at School he will not hear everything they say to him so they need to repeat things for him to make sure they know he hears everything that is being said.And if they don't handle things the right way he will pick up on that and he will get upset.remind him and his Teachers that this is not his fault.

If you need to talk send me a message in here and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

There are also Seizure Videos on utube that you can look at and send for his Teachers to look at,so they know when he is having them and they should be able to keep track for you so you can let the Doctors know how many he is having a day.

also the Noroligest should also be checking your son medicine blood levels to make sure they are where they should be.My son gets his checked every 3 months. The Neoroliest should also do a lot of blood work to see if they is a reason why he is having Seizures that they can check by blood work.And his levels should be checked to make sure his add and now his seizure medicine is not damaging his liver and I would also have them do a thyriod  blood test and a EKG.And a MRI if they have not done one yet.

I just notice that my reply came on her two time. I am sorry about that.
Keppra was VERY VERY bad for me. It took me a year to realize it.

I had a grand mal seizure, they found a tumor, and my doctor put me on Keppra. A single mother of a teenager and a very hard worker, I turned into a deficient  emotional unproductive human.

Over the 12 month period they upped my dose severely (because I was so out of it I am not sure but think 750 2x a day). They compensated the side effects by giving me adtvan then up to 4mg of xanax a day. What a nightmare. I dont remember much about that year. My memory got worse and worse and worse. My long-term memory was opened (i.e. all my bad memories that were put in denail throughout my life were remembered) but my short-term memory left. I was NEVER a person who cried, and then I started crying constantly...I mean once an hour, every hour, every day.
I know that I finally stopped taking it when I went to get milk, put it in the refrigerator and then halfway up the steps "remembered" I needed milk. I went back to the store. When I put the second gallon in the fridge I saw the first one, looked at the receipts and saw a ten minute difference. YES...in 2 minutes I forgot what I just did.

Finally, when I realized how bad my memory was, how emotional I had become, and how bad I was at being in any social environment, I fired my neurologist, scheduled brain surgery for the tumor that caused me to take Keppra, then weened off it. It took 3 months to migrate to Lamictal ( 200mg twice a day) and every week I felt the difference. It took a while to get of the side effect medication (xanax) which also made me very eradic.

Please consider my story...for your son and for your life as well. I isolated myself from family, friends and work (at 35 years old) and basically dont recall most of my actions in that year of my life.

It doesnt effect everyone the same, but it almost ended me having a functional happy life. Good luck!!