Epilepsy Community
dilantin and epilepsy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

dilantin and epilepsy

i started taking dilantin and im late for my period almost 4 weeks.Any help please
Avatar dr f tn
Phenytoin is a category D drug .It means that it is dangerous to the fetus .Taking Dilantin in early pregnancy may lead to birth defects but they are relatively uncommon. The various defects which may occur are growth delay, limb abnormalities, facial defects; mental retardation etc. Inform your gynecologist about your delayed periods. Take up urine pregnancy test. If you are pregnant your doctor may gradually decrease the dose and stop it and may prescribe an alternative anti seizure medicine which is safe during pregnancy. Sudden withdrawal of antiseizure medication may precipitate seizures in a pregnant woman which can be dangerous for the fetus. Medicines are prescribed during pregnancy only if the benefits outweigh the risks. Your doctor may prescribe you high dose folic acid 4 mg to prevent spinal cord deformities. I sincerely hope it helps.
Take care and good luck!
I took Dilantin for years..discovered way later on that this med and phenobarbital pulls the calcium from your bones...check it out
flipper336 "I always think that the be... Comment
Jun 24
embee24 commented on Headache Note
May 24
caregiver222 uploaded new photos
May 20