Epilepsy Community
does anyone have an infant with Epilepsy and is on Keppra?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

My son is 14 months old and was recently diagnosed with epilepsy 3 weeks ago. His 1st seizure was just a jerk to the right leg and his eyes were fixed to the side and was not responding. Took him to the E.R and they dismissed him after doing general blood tests. 1 hour after I got home he had a Tonic Clonic seizure and turned blue. I called 911. They look him to Children Hospital in St. Paul. They put him the Epilepsy Unit and did an EEG. They found 5 other Myclonic seizures in his sleep. MRI looked fine and all blood tests came back fine. They diagnosed him with Generalized Infant Benign Epilepsy. They put him on Keppra. So far I have only witnessed 2 little jerks, I guess they are Myoclonic seizures. I noticed that he has not been sleeping well at all. He also cries alot over little things, where he never cried much at all.
  Is there anyone else that has an Infant on Keppra? Have they experienced the same symtoms (symptoms)? Do they go away?
Is there anyone that had an infant that outgrew these kind of seizures? I am told that generalized seizures are not as common as partial seizures. Can anyone give me their story?  Thanks, Heidi
Hi there!! So glad you posted your note. It is awesome to have someone else with a like sitaution to talk to. We have an almost twenty four month old buy. He has been having seizures since he was just a little baby. We first noted them at about six months old. Took him to the dr then but the eg was normal so even though we had taken in vidoes of the seizures the dr was not willing to medicate until an actual finding showed on tests....Seizures continued for months until one day after having multiple seizures and calling the neuro office and being told that he would out grow it, I took him to his regular pediatrician....and just in time too I might add. As we walked in the door he had a tonic clonic seizure, stopped breathing and was immediately admitted to the hospital and started on phenobarbital..another eeg was done....NORMAL RESULTS AGAIN!!..No seizures during the eeg, so.......
He was on the phenobarb for several months but it just turned a normally happy little fellow in to a grouchy man!! and his sleeping was just rediculous!! he had always slep but all of a sudden he was waking at night and...oh it was aweful....We were sent  way out of town to Indianapolis to see a neurologist there at the childrens hospital. Dr. Sokol is an awesome neurologist. She did an MRI gave us some pretty sad results changed his meds tovalproic acid and boy has life changed for us...sleeps again....Happy again...
and  thoguh the seizures have not completely stopped, things have improved. He too had generalized epilepsy and had many tonic/ tonic clonic/ myoclonic and absence seizures...The very worst of him were the atonic. he so many many times fell and hit his little head...oh my it was aweful!!! he now wears a hlemt and it is such a blessing!!! no more boo  boos!!!!....Talk to the dr about a change in meds. There are many out there....and children all differ....so continue on until you find the med that is right for you!!!!  Blessings!!
get him off keppra
My son has been on Keppra since he was 3 months old, he is 3 now and still on it.  It works well with other meds.  I know that this med can cause behavioral problems.  If you do some research you will find that one of the side effects of Keppra is irritability.  Things will even out as he gets used to the med but if this is a problem I know it will continue to be a problem.  My son still gets cranky from this med. I also know that a seizure can cause them to be a little cranky too.  Hope this helps a little.  GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS!!
I know this blog is late but I just found out that my 1 yr old daughter has seizure disorder. They haven't told me exactly what kind of seizures she's got and i am totally clueless to seizures. She was 10 months old when she had her first big seizure. It happened while she was sleeping. I saw her eyes open and fixated upwards, one arm and one leg was jerking and she had drool and a little bit of vomit all along her mouth and the bed. I called 911 and they put in an iv and gave her valium. They stopped the seizure but it lasted 30 minutes. They took her to the ER via ambulance and her life hasn't been the same since. Like your little one, she was put on Keppra (200mg daily). She used to sleep and not get up all night but after the seizure, she hasn't slept the night since. She's totally cranky and always whining or crying. Prior to the "BIG" seizure i only noticed her jerking movements once in a while when she was newborn to about 8 months. Nothing big, in fact, i didn't know that those could be possible seizures. The "BIG" one took us by surprise. So, now all i do is wake up for her at night and constantly carry her because she always wants comfort. Hope all has been well since your blog in 2009. Any information you can give me about the Keppra would be much appreciated and extremely helpful! thanks
My daughter is on Keppra and we honestly haven't had any real problems. She had a prolonged partial seizure when she was six years old.  With the doctors direction we started her on Keppra.  She is ten now and has been completely seizure free.  She has mesial temporal sclerosis/temporal lobe epilepsy.  It is hard to figure the behavioral thing giving she was only six when she started.  Good Luck and may the Lord watch over you and your family.
Lifewithannag.blogspot.com
My daughter started having seizures at 4 months....she basically starts to jerk on one side of her body and her eyes just stare off with one eyelid flutering. she is now 9 months and has had 4 seizures. they have her on Keppra but don't know what is causing the seizures.....How did they find out your childs diagnoses? any info would be helpful