Epilepsy Community
ideas

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

ideas

PLEASE GIVE ME IDEAS IN DEALING WITH SOME ONE WHO HAS EPILEPSY.
HE IS 31 HE HAS HAD SENSE HE WAS 17 FROM A BRAIN INJURY  HE IS ALWAYS
DEPRESSED AND HE TAKES MEDS,JUST ANY IDEAS WOULD HELP.
THANK YOU
I am epileptic. Now some take it harder than others. I get upset sometimes because I am also a slow learner from my epilepsy. My hands shake making it hard to do certain things and people tease me for it so it's pretty hard to deal with. But if you find out what he likes to do and what makes him happy and try to give that to him, or just talk to him about what's wrong he may open up. If he's like me he doesn't want to be singled out for having epilepsy and doesn't want to be told he can't do this and that. I like to be a normal person as if I didn't have epilepsy. If that's how he is he will be difficult but things will work out in the end. Best of luck =].
Avatar n tn
He may be depressed the  rest of his life because of the meds he takes for his
epilepsy.  I've had epilepsy since i was 6 months old.  I've always wanted to jump off the nearest bridge ever since i can remember.  It has only been recently that i have understood why (40plus years later).  All antiepileptic drugs have a black box warning to them because one of the "side effects" is that they can give the patient suicidal thoughts. They did a study showing that 90% of the people who take drugs for epilepsy become depressed and/or feel suicidal vs. those who were taking the placebo. The drugs are suppressing certain neurotransmitters in the brain to control the epilepsy that would make the patient an otherwise happy/happier  person.  Doctors don't like to inform patients of this for fear of them not taking these drugs to control their epilepsy. Finding this info out after all these years makes me feel a  bit happier knowing that the depression is chemically induced and not just happening to me without any reason.  Hope this helps him cope better knowing this.
Aside from that, i wouldn't treat him any different than someone you know who has high blood pressure.  Nobody likes feeling condescended to even if they do have a brain injury.  Treat him with the respect you'd give to anyone else. Just my opinion.
my feonsa is epileptic and when he has a seizure the best thing is to turn him on his side and pillow under his head, then get cool wash cloth and have cool water to put on his face he comes out of it quicker and he takes Phenobarbatol it wrks best...
flipper336 "Everywhere is walking dist... Comment
Sep 11
darobow added the Heart Rhythm Tracker
Aug 14
darobow joined this community
Welcome them!
Aug 14