Epilepsy Community
keppra and psychological side effects

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

keppra and psychological side effects

My 6yo child was recently diagnosed with benign rolandic epilepsy.  Her neurologist recommends the medication,  Trileptal, but I am very concerned about the rare, but life threatening side effects, TENS, cardiotoxicity, etc. Keppra is alternate possible drug which seems to have a better safety profile. My question is: Are the possible psychological side effects of Keppra (psychosis is worst case senario) totally reversible if the drug is stopped?? Any insight would be appreciated!    
form what I have been told by my son doctor when I ask if there was any reversible side effects from any of his medicines I was told that ,some people do but most don't once they have the side effect there is nothing to revers them.that is why they do blood work and have us watch for things and let us know what changes are happening, and will work with us to stop  the medicine if they are having side effects that out way the risk.

hope this helps and you should also talk to the doctor about everything you are feeling even if you have to ask it every time you see them.because this your child and you have every right to know everything there is to know.
I donot know about the frist one But keppra for my son was a night mare, he was on it for two years keppra in one of the only that does not go thought the liver but kepra was made you older people he was mean would hit his head on the wall did not sleep well hit everyone and everthing BUT A FEW WEEKS AFTER HE STOP THIS MED HE WAS FINE (i DO NOT THINK KEPPRA HAS ANY LONG TERM side effects) SO IT GIVE IT A TRY AND SEE IF IT WORKS.
After a very frightening last 2 weeks of my boyfriend on Keppra my doctor did say to ween him off which I've done. Today is the first day off it and he still seems to have the dillusional aggressive side effects that I am hopeful after reading your post.....I pray to god that the old person before this drug comes back. How was those last few weeks for your son?  My boyfriend hasnt had much sleep for the last few week and I assume must come to a time when he crashes and burns
it well give it about to weeks