low dilantin levels and nocturnal tonic clonic
I have had tonic clonic seizures for almost 10 years. I do not have insurance and go to a free clinic. I have been taking generic dilantin as prescribed. Started at 300mg and was upped to 400mg two years ago. I've only had a handful of seizures while awake but when sleeping I have a few a week. When I have "bad" ones and go to the ER, my levels are always at a 1 or below. My Dr says I'm not taking my meds cuz I'm a "young punk kid with tattoos". He refuses to try anything else. I drink a craft beer once in a great while and I do have my medical marijuana card but I only partake the day after bad seizures for the head and muscle ache. I have stopped smoking for months at one point....no change. What can I possibly do? I'm getting older and am trying to have a child and need to get my disorder under control. I'm 28 btw, and a cigarette smoker trying to quit.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. The therapeutic range for dilantin is 50 to 100 mcg/mL. So, a value of 1 is very low, hence your doctor suspects non compliance. If therapeutic levels are reached and still if the seizure activity is not getting controlled, then your doctor may contemplate adding another medication. So, take your medication regularly and try to quit smoking as you are planning for a pregnancy. Take Care.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.