Epilepsy Community
seizures - 2 month old baby
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

seizures - 2 month old baby

i have a 2 month old baby, she had her first episode of seizure on her 5th day (2 episodes of clonic seizures and 3 episodes of multifocal seizures). she is right now on gardinal 15mg and no more episodes of seizures occurred after that (touch wood).
Her brain MRI reports as "multifocal non enhancing punctate areas of FLAIR hyperintensities with some showing diffusion restriction in bilateral periventricular regions with diffusion restriction in splenium and genu of corpus callosum and MR spectroscopy showing increased lactate levels"
on recent tests it was found that her blood lactate and pyruvate levels (arterial samples taken) were high, 62 mg/dl and 6.5 mg/dl respectively.
the metabolic screening and CSF test report says "normal"
the doctor says her development till now is normal but high lactate levels are serious and bound to cause probs in the future

Im planning to show her to a paed neurologist in bangalore.

my questions are,

should i show her to a paediatrician or a paediatric neurologist?
will her seizures continue?
What are the consequences of high lactate levels and most important of all will she be able to lead a normal life???

Regards
vivek
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament.

The lactate test is primarily ordered to help determine if someone has lactic acidosis, a high level of lactate in the blood. Lactic acidosis is most commonly caused by an inadequate amount of oxygen in cells and tissues. This in turn can cause seizures. FLAIR is a common MRI technique used when shooting MRI images to eliminate CSF, or cerebrospinal fluid, in the image. This allows any periventricular hyperintense lesions, such as scars, to be visible.

Whether she will continue to have seizures or not will depend on the cause. Like for example, if the insult to the brain was due to a cause like infection, once this is resolved, her seizures may not recur. I suggest you consult a pediatrician and he may then refer you to a paediatric neurologist.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Recent Activity
Blank
henleybaby is having a boy 12-19-14 Comment
Sep 02
1780921_tn?1384615710
Blank
flipper336 "There is only one thing t... Comment
Aug 31
Blank
brainfried commented on MY NEUROLOGIST SACKED...
Aug 27
Top Neurology Answerers
1780921_tn?1384615710
Blank
flipper336
Chandler, AZ
5466288_tn?1368589770
Blank
cramp_n_mystyle
IN
Blank
spitfire2