Epilepsy Community
seizures and pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

seizures and pregnancy

I have seizures and I'm pregnant and taking leopard and maniacal, is it safe for me and my baby inside of me? I also worried about the seizures that I have had is doing anything to my baby.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Seizures occurring in pregnancy can have untoward effects. It can cause miscarriages, trauma related to falls, fetal hypoxia and acidosis can occur. Also, certain anti epileptic medications can affect the baby. Current evidence suggests that women taking valproate in the first trimester run the highest risk for congenital malformations. Phenytoin and phenobarbital should also be avoided to prevent adverse cognitive outcomes.

So, therapy lies in controlling the seizures with minimal dosage and monitoring drug levels at intervals. So, please follow up with your doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
flipper336 "Never ruin an apology with... Comment
Feb 02
mkh9 Confucius. " Our greatest g... Comment
Jan 25