uestion of the month for may 2013
What is the hardest part about living with Epilepsy?
Many of you have it and I know it is not easy. I was thinking it would be a good way for us to get to know each other better.
Hi there,
The feeling can vary person to person. Few people may experience anxiety, panic due to the condition itself or as effect of medications. Memory and concentration may become poor in few people. They may feel stressful to go out or swim for the fear of having a seizure. Taking medications daily and if they are told not to drive can affect them a lot. It is important to cope up with the condition and accept it. Take your medications regularly. Exercise daily and have a balanced diet. This will increase your energy levels and boost your immune system which reduces risk of seizures. Do write to me again.
Best luck and regards!
Thanks so much for your input.  Does anyone else have anything to add?
I was diagnosed with epilepsy 42 yrs ago,when I was only 11 yrs old.I think the most difficult part of growing up with epilepsy was the limitations it imposed,as well as the humiliation I felt as some of my seizures were in public.The teens are a very stressful time of our life;and we all know what a terrible mix epilepsy and stress make!

As an adult,epilepsy didn't prevent me from getting married or having 3 beautiful daughters;but the limitations(stress,sleep & diet) never changed.Plus,even though my seizures are controlled,there's the fear that if I were driving an accident could happen;besides the higher insurance costs~~so I've never learned to drive.I hate being dependant on others!