Epilepsy Community
why My little 5-month old baby is with abnormal brain discharge

This patient support community is for discussions relating to epilepsy, safety, school issues, and transportation issues.

She is just 5-month old, and everything growing well before first cyanosis on her lips this Dec 22d. Before cyanosis occurred, she has continued loosing bowels since two weeks ago.

And then went to hospital, the EEG tells us that her brain is with abnormal discharge. I was so hurt on this news! And I also doubled that, it is so unbelievable for, so I need your help to clarify the questions on my mind. Great thanks to you!

1. Does it must be seizure?
2. Should the treatment be having drug "Levetiracetam"? And how long will it take?
3. Any possible it can be automated recured during her growing up stage, when her brain is fullly developed?
4. Will it be Dravet's?
Her situation is just cyanosis on her lips under 1minutes and then recovered by herself at that three days. But without any cyanosis now before taking medication.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
What were the other symptoms in your 5 month old child? Seizures can occur due to many causes like an electrolyte imbalance, whether due to disease or a genetic disorder, brain defects, genetic syndromes, infections etc. It is possible that your baby has seizures. The choice of anticonvulsant and duration of therapy depend on the cause of seizure and type of seizure. Anticonvulsant medication concentrations must be monitored by regular laboratory checks to ensure the medication is at a therapeutic level. The course of disease varies in every child and depends on the cause. In Dravet syndrome which is severe myoclonic epilepsy of infancy there are frequent febrile seizures and diagnosis is made by clinical examination and tests for an SCN1A gene mutation. I will advise you to discuss your concerns and queries with the neurologist before starting any antiepileptic. Do keep me posted.
Best wishes and take care!