Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
Blood Test Results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

Blood Test Results

I am new to this message board and am hoping to get some help/direction in terms of my son's health.
He is 18 years old and feels "miserable" most of the time (low energy, "achy" all over, sore throat etc..).
He was diagnosed with Mono 4 years ago.
We just had some bllod work done and his tests came back with the following results that were "flagged" as being out of the normal range:

EBV Early Antigen Ab, IgG : 127 H AU/mL (normal range is 0-99 RN)

EBV Ab VCA, IgG: 3073 H AU/ml (normal range is 0-99 RN...this one is off the charts!).

EBV Nuclear Antigen Ab, IgG: 234 HAU/mL (normal range is 0-99 RN)

His tests were also flagged for low WBC, high RBC, low Neutrophils, high Monocytes and low Absolute Neutrophils.

Does anyone have insight as to what might be wrong with him?
Can anyone give me some insight as to what type of doctor/specialist we should take him to (the blood work was ordered by our family doctor and I am afraid he is in over his head at this point).

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!
Hi Bill,

I'm glad you are here. I was a also a teenager when I had mono and after I had mono.... I always told people that it felt like I never recovered. It took me many years later before I was finally diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Today, my EBV titer is still off the charts.

From the CDC's website:

A CFS diagnosis should be considered in patients who present with six months or more of unexplained fatigue accompanied by other characteristic symptoms. These symptoms include:

cognitive dysfunction, including impaired memory or concentration
postexertional malaise lasting more than 24 hours (exhaustion and increased symptoms) following physical or mental exercise
unrefreshing sleep
joint pain (without redness or swelling)
persistent muscle pain
headaches of a new type or severity
tender cervical or axillary lymph nodes
sore throat
Other Common Symptoms

In addition to the eight primary defining symptoms of CFS, a number of other symptoms have been reported by some CFS patients. The frequency of occurrence of these symptoms varies among patients. These symptoms include:

irritable bowel, abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea or bloating
chills and night sweats
brain fog
chest pain
shortness of breath
chronic cough
visual disturbances (blurring, sensitivity to light, eye pain or dry eyes)
allergies or sensitivities to foods, alcohol, odors, chemicals, medications or noise
difficulty maintaining upright position (orthostatic instability, irregular heartbeat, dizziness, balance problems or fainting)
psychological problems (depression, irritability, mood swings, anxiety, panic attacks)
jaw pain
weight loss or gain

http://www.cdc.gov/cfs/cfssymptomsHCP.htm

If your son has these symptoms....I hope that you will stick around and invite him to join MedHelp. I've posted a link below to our fibro / CFS board... I am one of the Community Leader's in the forum. What the CFS experts are saying is that if someone has CFS, that it is important to get treated right away. There ARE treatments out there.... feel free to send me a message and I can only tell you what I've learned in the years of having this illness.

Fibro / CFS board:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/show/44?personal_page_id=203319

To answer your question about what kind of physician he should see. I would recommend checking out this website :

http://www.co-cure.org/Good-Doc.htm

Thanks so much for your comments.
No has mentioned CFS yet but judging from the list of symptoms you provided, that could be his problem>
I will also check out the "co-cure" link you provided.
Thanks again!

You're welcome ! If your son has CFS... he will need a lot of support. Support is difficult to get when you have a "Chronic EBV" or "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" diagnosis... especially since we look healthy. I'm happy that you are supporting him and tell him that he can always come here.

I know the Co-Cure physicians regularly diagnose and treat CFS.... but you should always know what your options are and in my opinion... keep up to date on this illness. Below is a link to the fibro/CFS health pages, where you can find a wealth of information on CFS.  Also... if your son hasn't been tested for lyme disease, make sure his physician tests him. (I'm sure the Co-Cure physician will know this, but just in case).

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=39

Warmest Regards,

PlateletGal