Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
Chances of NOT infecting someone you're dating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

Good morning,

I was at the emergency yesterday and a blood test was taken and I was told that I had mono. I was surprisingly relieved, since I had thought it was something much more serious or I was having a heart related issue.   The ER doctor had told me that there is a long incubation period, which I've also read on the internet. During this incubation period that i've had, I had been dating and having physical contact with someone. In fact, some of the symptoms of mono had already started (which I didn't know where symptoms of it at that point) and we were still having contact ie. kissing etc.  My question is this: With that much contact, since we were seeing each other several times a week pretty much the ENTIRE incubation time, what are the chances he doesn't have mono?  He's unaware if he's had it as a child as well.  We're both hypochondriacs I'll admit, and at this stage our thought process is to just steer clear of each other completely for a month, which is extremely difficult to do and one i'd like to avoid.  Is the general thought that if he were to get infected (if he didn't have an immunity to it already from a previous virus) than it would have already happened in the past 4-7 weeks? What are the chances now, that i haven't infected him and he doesn't have an immunity to it...him getting it from me?
I appreciate any and all advice to put both our minds at ease, I have a call out to my family doctor but it's always nice to have more than on opinion!
If he's had continuous exposure to your saliva over the past couple months, I think there's a pretty good chance he's infected.  If you're worried about it, why doesn't he go to the doctor and get a blood test?  Then at least he'll know if he was exposed to it when he was younger.