Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
Chronic Mono?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

Chronic Mono?

I finally went to the doctor after feeling over all bad for months & months. Fatigue (terrible fatigue), feel "sick", chest hurt, terrible headaches, sick to my stomach, throat pain on & off. Doctor drew all kind of labs & the only thing that tood out was my EBV panel:

ab VAC, IgM  8.0

Diagnoses: Mono about 3 months ago, but getting over it.

The issue is, I feel worse than I ever have right now & I have not ever had Mono. Not 3 months ago (that was at diagnoses, I am now 5 months out supposedly) or ever in my life. I have been exposed to it, as my daugther had it when she was 3 (5 years ago) but I never got it. Nothing about my symptoms is getting better & this is becoming debilitating.

Do I have Chronic Mono? I have no idea. What should I be doing for treatment? I would like to get on vitamin therapy for this but I am unsure where to start.
It changed my panel in post for some reason:

ab VAC, IgM    8.0
I don't know what the range is for the mono test buf if your doctor says 8.0 is positive for EBV IGM then unless you have those results I can't say if it is a borderline result or not. I think you mean VCA IGM not VAC. The VCA is viral capsid antigen and that is the antigen that shows up when you have active mono. The fatigue and sore throat and stomach upset are signs of mono. The spleen can be enlarged and make your stomach ache. The headaches , chest pain are not.  Actually, Epstein barr virus that cause mono  is now believed to not cause chronic fatigue syndrome it is a Herpes virus type 6 A. This herpes virus is not an STD and not symplex I or II. Also, EBV is in the Herpes family. Anyway, it does sound like you acquired mono.Were you tested for mono when you were exposed to it a long ago? You may not have acquied then. Usually, mono is gone by about 4 months. So, I don' t know  Perhaps you can get tested for the Herpes virus  6A but I 'm not sure who does the test. It is relatively new information. i think the CDC probably does it but the lab would have to send the sample out. If it is isn't chronic fatigue syndrome did the doctor do a immunoglobulin test? Also how was your complete blood count? It does sound viral. Do you have a fever now?