Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
Confused about test results
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Confused about test results

I have been having liver problems (high liver enzymes AST and ALT) and they finally did an EBV test on me (I showed no other symptoms for EBV so it took awhile for them to run the tests).  They first thought the liver issues were medicine induced but after they did the EBV tests they informed me I tested positive for EBV so that I did have acute viral hepatitis.  But from reading on the internet, I'm thinking it could be that the results just mean that I had it EBV sometime, not necessarily now.  I was unable to talk to the doctor today and unfortunately she is going on vacation so I won't be able to talk to her until the week after next.  Any help interpreting the results would be highly appreciated.  Here are the results:

EBV VCA antibody (IGM) = 1.41 H
EBV VCA antibody (IGG) = 3.84 H
EBV (EBNA antibody IGG) = >5.00 H

According to the following website: http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/ebv/test.html  
these results would indicate a past infection - not current.  Am I wrong?  Can anyone tell me what these results mean?  I don't think they ever did a mono test on me (the heterophile IgM test).  And I don't see anything like an EA - D test.  

Does anyone know what the normal levels are?  I'm just wondering how high mine.

Thank you!