Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
Could I still have mono?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Could I still have mono?

Last week a friend and I got dared to make out for a minute by another friend. Thinking it was no big deal, we're all just friends right, we did. This was on Jan 16th. He called me yesterday, the 25th and informed me that he has mono and has probably had it for a couple months.
Well, on Monday, Jan 24th, I went in to the doctor to have them look at a rash. Just to rule out mono, they took a blood sample and said the results were negative. This was before I knew my friend had it. So, since it's only been 8 days, and I know the SYMPTOMS don't show up for 4-7 weeks after exposure, but will the VIRUS show up in the blood test if it's only been 1 week since I was exposed? Basically, will the virus show up quickly on a blood sample test after exposure, or is it like HIV (just for example, I know mono and HIV are way different), where it can take weeks to appear? Should I got back the the doctor in a few weeks?