Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
Diarrhea & EBV

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

Diarrhea & EBV

I have had Diarrhea along with a list of other symptoms for the last 2 months. Other symptoms include migraine, vertigo, extreme fatigue, muscle & joint aches, tingling sensations in fingers, dry mouth, abdominal pain on left side, lower back pain, etc. I have been tested for everything. Stool is fine, CMV neg, HIV neg, Hep neg, etc. The one thing that came back positive was my EBV levels. They show an acute & previous infection. I have read a lot that diarrhea is normally not a symptom of EBV. I have also read that EBV "if previously exposed" is usually a secondary virus or problem. Could something else have caused my EBV to activate? Could EBV be causing the symptoms I listed above? I can not seem to find help anywhere. Not many doctors know much about EBV. Please help!

Andrew
A response is greatly appreciated.
I have had recurrent EBV for the past 15 years.  It has reactivated 5 times.  Doctors love to say it's not possible but it is and labwork shows it.  The one thing I know for sure that causes mine to reactivate is stress and lots of it.  If I could give advise to anyone now, I would say take care of yourself now.  Get healthy and find ways to distress.  EBV can damage other systems in your body if it continues to reactivate.  I have recently been diagnosed withy hypoadrenal function and low thyroid along with possible hypothalamus  involvement.  My doctor believes, looking at my EBV numbers, it is a good possibility that the virus has caused havoc on my adrenal glands and possibly hypothalamus.  You might find that a good probiotic will help tremendously for your diarrhea and for your immune system.  I like "Pearls."  You should be able to buy it in your local pharmacy or grocery store.  Also, I have learned that building my immune system has been the one thing besides less stress that keeps me healthy.  I even went to a immunologist and was told everything looked good with my immune system so I started researching and doing everything I could to build it naturally and have found that taking a really good vitamin C, at a much higher dose than normal has been a great help.  You might also research other ways to build your immune system.  Also, try hard not to take antibiotics or steroids unless you have to.  Both are not good for you if taken too often and especially if not really necessary.  Many doctors love to prescribe them but if you build your immune system up, you will be amazed at how long you will go without getting sick.  The vitamin C is huge!  There is one called Lipohspheric Vitamin C that is absorbed well by your body and is the best thing I've ever taken, ever!  It's sort of expensive, but well worth the money!  It even gives me lots of extra energy too!  Good luck and let yourself recover.  It takes time to get over EBV but it really is important to let yourself recover before you push yourself.  I learned that the hard way.
Hi Andrew,
Yes , its possible to have diarrhea with EBV. I had it for around 3 months while I had EBV. Stools were soft, mushy and often explosive, although it would happen only 1-2 times a day. It took a long time for this to normalise.
probiotics agreed .also peppermint tea and tea tree oil green tea .all of these help digestion .glutamine is an amino that increases cd4s around the gut area this helps tremendously.peppermintand honey for sweetener seams to be my favorite for results along with glutamine in a months time you will see a big difference.licorice root is helpful .ginger root .the biggest immune system booster i have encountered is fresh garlic .also fresh tomatoes .if you have a sandwich load it up with veggies .bell peppers are a huge help eat a variety though .everyone says oh i eat salad all the time .(a bowl of lettuce ).this is ok for those people who just want something to put their dressing on but dresssing isnt going to make you healthy .a salad would be onions ,broccoli ,cauliflower ,carrots,cucumbers,garlic ,garlic ,and garlic,bell peppers mushrooms cheese try adding nuts and or seeds .
chia seeds are a good source of iron,fiber ,omega 3s,and calcium. nuts for protein also help keep the heart healthy.

we are all here for a reason on medhelp.so taking our eating habits more seriously is important .if i was to make a guesss i would have to say that we probably all took them for granted before we became ill.give these things an honest try for at least a few months and you will notice a difference .if i had known then what i know now.had we taken it more seriously beforehand our foreign invader might not have been able to enter.

coconut oil is also a strong player it is antiviral ,antibacterial,and antifungal.this has so many health benefits it is amazing it helps immensly for dementia patients .it lowers bad cholesterol raises the good cholesterol.it can be used as a mouthwash .a moisturizer .it helps in boosting immmunity .

in a world of arrogant drs with no answers and reluctance to investigate you are your best defense.try to mixit up to keep it interesting .stay away from sugar honey is a much healthier sweetener and it might help your allergies .fruit and lots of it .its also a great source of vitamin c believe it or not .a long time ago back before vitamin tablets i hear that fruit and vegetables were where people got their vitamins.

plain yogurt is an awesome probiotic add seeds and nuts  and fruit and yuou get your vitamins and probiotic and protien all at once.devise a program that you stick to every day and you will notice a difference .be safe be well.