Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
Did I give my daughter mono?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

Did I give my daughter mono?

I am a middle school teacher, and one of my students was recently diagnosed with mono and sent back to school for a couple of days. She ended up in the hospital with all kinds of complications. My son is in her class, and they are a pretty tight nit group and have a lot of contact in class and in PE. This evening, my daughter spiked a fever, is crying with a headache and neck ache, and has little yellow pustules in her throat. I called the doctor, and she said that as long as Motrin helps with the headache, we can wait to come in tomorrow. It did help, and she is asleep now. My question is, since I had mono in my twenties, could my mono have been reactivated by contact with my student, to the point of being contagious without knowing it? Or could my son have brought it home without catching it? I realize how it is spread, and there is no kissing going on, but they all share lunches, pal around, etc. The reason I ask is that these symptoms are some of the same ones my student had. My daughter is only eight, so I am concerned. Can that happen?

No I don't think the student reactivated your mono. You could give mono to anyone anytime you shed the virus on your own (no one needs to activate it for you). But I think she got it by sharing a glass or a drink with another student that had it or the same utensils. That is more likely since someone had active mono. Has your daughter had a blood test for it yet? There are other diseases like CMV that mimic Mono symptoms in children as well. That is probably what happened.