Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
Difference between Vitamin D and Vitamin D 1,25

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

Hello Plateletgal,

I reviewed my test results today and I noticed that my Vitamin D 1,25 was the result that was low. What is the big difference between the D 1,25 and the D? I read in a previous post that you stated that most fibro patients test low on Vitamin D. I don't think I have had just the regular Vitamin D level tested. Should I and would the low Vitamin D 1,25 be indicative of CFIDS/EBV/ME/Post viral as well?

Hi Gina,

I'm assuming that you aren't taking vitamin D or just recently started taking the supplement... is that correct ?  The reason why I'm making this assumption is because on a research protocol that I was recently on, many of the patients had a low vitamin D and a higher (but usually within normal range) vitamin D 1,25 hydroxy. Dr. Trevor Marshall has done research on this. If you are interested, you can google, "vitamin D dysregulation". It has to do with the way vitamin D is converted and intracellular bacteria. Vitamin D is consumed through diet or absorbed through your skin and then it is converted to an active hormone.... vitamin D 1,25 hydroxy.

Dr. Nancy Klimas, an expert on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome has said, "low vitamin D is a frequent finding even in my sunshine state – Florida - and vitamin D is important to immune health. But I don't now if it was there to begin with or is a consequence of the illness."

Hey,

I started taking 50000 IUs of Vitamin D 3 weeks ago. All that was ever tested on me was the Vitamin D,125 Hydroxy. I do not have any results from a regular Vitamin D because this was the only test that was run. I was just wanting to know the distinct difference between the 2 tests since you stated that CFIDS tested higher on the Vit D 1,25. If mine was a 7 and that is very low, would I need to have a regular Vitamin D ran or would this reading possibly indicate that I may not have CFIDS. If not, then I really feel like I am going backwards instead of forward. Thanks for the reply. I have not had another redraw because I have to take 3 months worth of Vitamin D 50000 IUs for the next 3 months.
Just an FYI, my Vitamin D,125 was only a 7 and normal limits are 32-100.
I have been tested 3 times, but none of the tests/limits are identical, so I can't tell whether or not the supplements are helping!  

VITAMIN D 1,25-DIHYDROXY: Limits 15-60 pg/mL
VITAMIN D, 25-HYDROXY: Limits 30-100 ng/mL
25-Hydroxy D2 + 25-Hydroxy D3 = 25-Hydroxy Total D: Limits 25-80 ng/mL3.

Have any of the specific Ds been linked to disease. FWIW, I'm normal on DTotal, but low on D1.

p.s. ginak, are you sure you didn't mean D 1,25? or D25?
My D 1,25 as listed above was only 7.1. I don't have a lab that was a Vitamin D,12-Hydroxy. I only have the lab for the Vitamin D,125. There are many diseases that are linked to a low Vitamin D. I don't know what my regular Vitamin D(Total) is. I wonder why the neuro did not run this test for me? What was your D 1,25 level?
My D1,25-Dihydroxy was 36, within the normal range. It was my D, 25 (I guess this is same as D total?) was low at 21, whereas 30 is low limit.  This result was when I tested ~ June '08.

My recent test that is now ~ 5 mo later is showing total is within normal range. I'm guessing from the limits, that D or D Total is essentially the same

I've been averaging about 500 to 1000 mg supplement/day since my original low D, and I am also getting a little more sunlight. Maybe that is why it has increased.

I will continue taking daily supplement since my D is still not above mean value.
Jason,

They put me on 50000 IUs per week and this is making me feel a little better. I have to take this dosage for the next 2 months and then have a redraw in March. I still think there is something else that is causing my levels to be so low. I am going to ask the physician about getting the D,25 since this is the regular Vitamin D. At least you know that yours is within normal limits. Mine is scary low.
Check out parathyroid.com