Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
Do I have a reactive Epstein Barr Virus??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

I was told by one Doctor that I had a reoccuring EBV  based on the blood work result , but I went to another Doctor  with the same labs and was told no because my IgM was negative.  I'm so confused, any advice would be appreciated.  Here are my results:

EBV Ab VCA,  IgM                      7        
EBV Early Antigen Ab, IgG       159    
EBV Ab VCA, IgG                  3075
EBV Nuclear Antigen Ab, IgG   599

I tested negative for a mono spot test.  I just don't know which Doctor to trust and this is really important.  
Can you tell me what your symptoms are ?  It seems like EBV testing and interpretation seems to be challenging for many physicians. You have some physicians out there that don't believe in reactivated EBV and then you have lab tests that can be elevated due to another illness or reactivation found in individuals with no symptoms.

I can't tell you which physician to trust, but I hope you will list your symptoms so that people here can chime in. Also, please tell us how long you've had these symptoms.

Reactivation

In the presence of antibodies to EBNA, an elevation of antibodies to early antigen suggests reactivation. However, when EBV antibody to the early antigen test is present, this result does not automatically indicate that a patient's current medical condition is caused by EBV. A number of healthy people with no symptoms have antibodies to the EBV early antigen for years after their initial EBV infection. Many times reactivation occurs subclinically.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/ebv.htm
My symptoms lasted for 3 months.  Unfunctional fatigue, brainfog, my vision seemed a bit distorted (like I was dreaming) pain in legs, not very hungry, weakness, flushed/tender face, mild sore throat (not too bad), never had fever though. No cold symptoms either.  I did have alot of stomach noises/gurgling sounds.  Mono spot test was negative, white blood cell count was 16 and now I am at 11.  I feel better now but still have fatigue, but nothing like it was.  I was also checked for Lupus and Lymes Disease, both were negative.  I'm just not sure if the first Doctor got the EBV results and settled on that is what I had or if maybe other tests needed to be done.  Do theses symptoms sound like EBV?  

I was very sick for 3 months and I feel like it took a part of me, because I still don't feel like me 100%.  I fear that this will come back again and I'm not sure if I was diagnosed correctly.  It would have been so much easier if the Doctors agreed with each other, I guess that is what a second opinion is.

It certainly sounds like your symptoms could be from reactivated EBV. I am happy to hear that you were tested for lupus and lyme disease. You may want to consider googling, "Co Cure's Good Doctor List" to find a physician in your area who frequently treats chronic EBV and CFS.

Keep me posted if you can,

~PlateletGal