Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
Does it sound like EBV?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

Does it sound like EBV?

I'm a 19 year old male and I'm super worried I may have something :/

About 2 1/2 weeks ago, I started feeling off: cold-chills, runny nose... 2 days later (5 days after the stint) my tongue began to feel burnt (rough), accompanied with a seriously bad sore throat, nasal congestion, and the urge to sneeze. I also noticed very small red dots on the backs of my hands (vesicles?), and pain under my ears and on the backs of my hands. Moving forward up until now, I developed severe congestion that drains down my throat, irritating it further. I still have cold-chills and feel very sickly (achy and feel crappy). I also noticed my eyes feeling itchy.

I visited a doctor 2 weeks ago when my throat started hurting, they ran a strep test: negative

I visited my family doctor 2 days ago, and he said it was obvious that I was fighting something. He said it could either be a garden variety virus or more likely, a bacterial infection. He prescribed Cefnidir 300mg twice a day, for 10 days. He seemed certain it was an infection in my throat or surrounding it, especially after looking at my throat (very red) and when I mentioned the small dots.

So far I have been taking it as scheduled, currently on my 4th dose of it (day 2) and nothing has changed. The only thing I notice is fatigue after taking it. (sign that it's working?)

Can anyone confirm these symptoms as being part of EBV/mono? I know not much can be done about it, but it would give me plenty of peace of mind. I can't make an appointment for a few days, but if this fits the bill, I will have an EBV test asap.
ps. I suffer from severe anxiety; recently have come off Celexa (a few months back) which makes everything seem awful. I plan to resume it, as I'd rather deal with the side effects than be crippled by worrying. Yet it's hard not to be at this point...

My main current symptoms are....
Nasal congestion, with serious drainage
Sore throat
Pain under ears (nodes?)
small red dots that come and go, leaving a little trace of it behind
General malaise

My main questions are....

Does this sound like symptoms of EBV?
Or does it seem like a simple viral/bacterial infection?
How soon after taking the antibiotic will I notice an improvement?
Forgot to mention: I have checked my temp here and there and it shows up as normal. :(
I answered this question on another post. See that post for more detail. No it doesn't sound like EBV. You wouldn't have the nasal issues and congestion etc.  It does sound like a virus not a bacteria. Antibiotics wouldn't work against a virus.
mkh9
Thank you very much for both this response and the other. I feel pretty at ease now. I had a migraine tonight (no big deal, my family has a very obvious history of them) With my mind off of this, I realized that it can only be waited out, obviously being just a virus.