Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
EBV Antibodies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

EBV Antibodies

My EBV antibodies test came back positive.   Negative for active infection.  The numbers were EBV antibodies was 299.  How bad is that?  Can this be why I feel so tired, 24 hr. joint pain, dry eyes?
Leila 50
Hello Leila,

The EBV test can be very confusing. We have people on this board, myself included who have titers in the 1000s so I would not think 299 was that bad. However, all of this is going to be dependent on the lab. I have been dealing with whatever this is since July of 08 and I don't have any answers other than that I have Vitamin D deficiency, high EBV titers, possible lyme disease, and being watched for MS due to its connection with EBV. I have a long history, as well as many others on here. You are more than welcome to review my profile. Please stick around as there are many of us who are going through the same thing. Most of my symptoms are neurological and don't fit the regular "EBV-mono" profile. I will be happy to chat with you. Please keep in touch.

ginak

Hi Leila50,

What were the normal ranges for your positive EBV test ? Also.... you may want to check out this link. Many physicians do not test for this and/or use the preferred lab.

http://www.immed.org/illness/clinical_testing.html
About 95% of the population has antibodies to EBV.  This just means that you have had the infection at one point in your life and these people don't have chronic flu-like symptoms indicative of Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction Syndrome. Individuals with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome usually have very high antibodies indicating chronic or reactivated infection. There are several different lab tests for EBV and many doctors don't know how to order and interpret the appropriate tests, so I am not sure which test you had.  The number may be significant depending on which lab test it was, but I don't think one test alone can determine if it's chronic.  Also people with chronic EBV usually have other chronic infections, it's part of the immune system dysfunction. All infections must be treated and people have success with natural treatments.
There are several types of EBV antibodies, and all of them can be IgG or IgM. For explanation you can check

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Autoimmune/Increased-levels-of-EBV-antibodes-explained/show/648?cid=181