Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
EBV Lab Results Question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

EBV Lab Results Question

I've been running a low grade fever for almost 3 months now. My doc did all kinds of labs (including autoimmune labs which were negative) and all of my CBC's have come back normal. He FINALLY tested me for Mono 2 weeks ago after being sick all this time. When the test came back, they told me I have Mono, but then when I asked if it was active Mono, they said they didn't think so. I then faxed my results to a family friend (an ER doc) and he said it looked like I had it, but might be in the convalescence phase right now. Well I'm still running a low grade fever and feel yucky. From my results below, do you guys think that Mono is what has had me down for the last 3 months? I've felt extremely tired, achy, but have not had the sore throat and no swollen lymph nodes that I could tell. I'm being told to wait this out, but don't want to wait if it's not Mono and could be something else- it's driving me crazy wondering!!! Also, do you still run a fever in the convalescence phase (I am)?
Here are my labs:

EBV Panel Interpretive Table:
CLINICAL STAGE                VCA-IgG    VCA-IgM    Early AG     EBNA
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Never infected                         -                 -                -                 -
Acute Infection                       +                 +               +/-              -
Convalescence                       +                +/-               +              +/-
Recent Past Infect                  +                 -                +/-              +
Remote Past Infect                 +                 -                 -                +
Chronic Infect                         +                 -                 +               +/-

EBV Early AG IgG   <5.0    (Normal range 600.0 (High)     (Normal range <18.0)

EBV VCA IgG  71.7 (High)      (Normal range <18.0)

EBV VAC IgM  <10.0       (Normal range <36.0)

Comprehensive Metabloic Panel labs all normal except:
Lymphocytes 13 (L)
Neutrophils 82 (H)
WBC 9.8- Normal

Hi, well I have some questions:
What was your EBNA result? I don't see it here.
For the EBV AG IgG, you have both 600 and <18.0 which one is the normal range?
Usually you have an increase in the atypical lymphocytes and they are not low like yours are. Also, the Neutrolphils are high showing it may be a viral or bacterial infection. Sometimes a viral infection actually lowers the WBC count.  I still need the answers to these questions in order to make a decision though.
Also, your IgM was negative so it doesn't sound like a very recent infection. With EBV you usually have the sore throat and swollen lymph nodes and a high fever . I haven't seen one without these two clinical findings being absent as it is part of the diagnosis to have these symptoms. So, now the question is are you in the recovery stage or were you exposed a long time ago and still have IgG antibodies. That is what I want to confirm before answering your question. Did they ever do a mono spot test on you?
mkh9
Also, did you ever have a high fever or was it always low grade? Have they tested you for other viruses or what other tests have you had other than the autoimmune trests and CBC? Any cultures taken ? EBV does take 2-3 months to get over. So, it is possible to have a lingering fever. Some people normally have low grade fever or if you take your temperature at night or late in the day it may be low grade normally. Meaning your temperature usually is lower in the morning then goes up in the evening.
mkh9
Thank you for your response. I don't know why the labs showed up all skewed.
Here are the correct results;
EBV early AG IgG: 600 (high)
EBV VCA IgG 71.7 (high)
EBV VCA IgM: <10 (normal)

The doc didn't do a mono spot test.

What they've done so far:
labs- only abnormals were posted above in my first post
EGD- negative
Sinus CT- normal
Chest X ray- normal
Abdominal ultrasound- normal
ANA- normal
Lupus test- normal
Rhuematoid- normal

They have not drawn cultures yet, but I'm going to ask him to Monday. Does this sound like recent mono or old mono? I've been really exhausted for a while and run a 99.6-100 temp each day. I'm scared because they're not finding anything so I'm worried that there's something bad going on. I know I should be positive, but it's hard when I've been sick for so long. I always seem to think the worst like cancer or something. Hopefully that won't be the case. Can you think of anything else for them to test?
It's still not showing up right! Ugh!

Ebv early AG igg- 600 high

Ebv vca igg- 71.7 high

Ebv vca igm- <10 normal
Ok, I don't know what the problem is. I keep posting my labs and double checking and it keeps messing my results up so I'm going to try it this way.
My ebb early ag igg is less than 5 which is normal.
My ebv nuclear antigen is greater than 600 which is high
My ebv vca igg is 71.7 which is high
My ebv vca igm is less than 10 which is normal.
Hi, so by these results you just gave me you have a past infection of EBV. It isn't a primary infection or reactivation.. So you don't have mono now. It is possibly another virus, or you could have chronic fatigue syndrome from a past infection of EBV or something else. Do you have night sweats, and a cough? Any other symptoms than what you have mentioned?
mkh9
Thank you for your response. I've had 2 docs tell me different on the mono. I don't have a cough, but do occasionally have night sweats.
Oh, my ribs on my left side have also been a little tender. Other than that, no pain really. Just fever and exhaustion :(
Have you been tested for TB lately? Also, it could still be a virus or even EBV that is giving you chronic fatigue. I assume they listened to your lungs? In my opinion I think you had Mono a long time ago. EBV results are indicating that and your current symtoms (symptoms) don't show that it was recent. But like I said it is possible that you have reactivation of the EBV virus but usually your early antigen would be positive if that was the case....
mkh9
My lungs are clear. Hopefully this is just a virus that'll pass. I've just never been sick like this in my life so it's hard to take in. 3 months of misery has been enough for me. I have another doctor's appointment tomorrow so hopefully he'll be able to figure something out this time. Thank you for all of your suggestions :)