Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Community
EBV and elevated liver enzymes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Epstein Barr Virus (EBV), chronic EBV, and infectious mononucleosis (mono).

EBV and elevated liver enzymes

Hi all,

I am a 56 year old woman and was diagnosed 6 months ago with EBV.  I had a sore throat, etc. but was not as bad as others I have heard about.  For example, I did not have overwhelming fatigue at all, and generally feel fine.  However, my liver enzymes have been elevated to twice the normal amount ever since that time.  I was tested 6 months ago for all types of liver disease (hep a, b, c, etc.), had an ultrasound, and a CT-scan of my abdomen and all of those tests came back normal.  So my question is, it is reasonable for my ALT and AST to be high for 6 months due to EBV?
Hi my daughter is 15 and was ill the end of June 2013, she had severe EBV and was admitted to hospital and was put on a drip. Her liver enzymes went up to 1151 at that time, they are still raised today at 37. I think it may be reasonable to say that it would take that long to get them right back to normal. She still has to have her liver and kidneys monitored.